Dci World Championships 2004

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

ED
Rookie
Rookie

Dci World Championships 2004

Post by ED » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:26 pm

DCI Champoinships is finally coming back to the West in 2004. It will be held at INVESCO Field in Denver. Maybe one day it will make it to the West COAST.

crazymoflo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crazymoflo » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:04 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DCI 2005 in San Diego? I distinctly remember hearing that because it's my ageout year. I was like WOOOO it's all about aging out in my home state!! =D
*Flo*
~>Fairfield Open 00-02
~>W.G.I. scholarship recipient
~>Glassmen rifle (and Rookie of the Year!) 02, 03
~>San Jose Raiders World winterguard 03
~>D.C.I. calendar girl (May 2003)

ED
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ED » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:16 am

crazymoflo wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DCI 2005 in San Diego? I distinctly remember hearing that because it's my ageout year. I was like WOOOO it's all about aging out in my home state!! =D
That may be a rumor. They just determined 2004, so I doubt 2005 has been finalized yet. Speaking of San Diego, WGI World Championships will be in San Diego in 2004. :D

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:51 am

ED wrote:
crazymoflo wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DCI 2005 in San Diego? I distinctly remember hearing that because it's my ageout year. I was like WOOOO it's all about aging out in my home state!! =D
That may be a rumor. They just determined 2004, so I doubt 2005 has been finalized yet. Speaking of San Diego, WGI World Championships will be in San Diego in 2004. :D
As far as I know it's just a rumor, or maybe Flo's confusing it with the WGI Finals? DCI doesn't plan more than a year in advance, to the best of my knowledge. Still, Denver's cool with me. I'll start making plans to be there. :D

hboyce
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by hboyce » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:24 pm

Qualcomm stadium would be a horible venue for DCI championships. It was built as a baseball stadium not a football stadium. There are no good venue in San Diego, let alone anywhere in Southern California to host the DCI championships. It would be nice to hear the last scores at finals then have to drive north for 15 minutes to get home, it's not going to happen.
--Hunter

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:29 am

id have to agree. the only place in Cali would be where the raiders played. or the 49ers.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

guardguy18
New Recruit
New Recruit

dci championships in so cali....

Post by guardguy18 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:13 am

might be a little small but there's the Rose Bowl, and the Coliseum...... it also could be up north like at University of the Pacific or Fresno State

SCVRifle0234

Post by SCVRifle0234 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:17 pm

I think that if DCI EVER came to the West Coast, that Huskie Stadium in Seattle would make a GREAT venue! I have performed there twice myself and it's great. Seattle has hosted their home show there in more recent years. The crouds are about average for a drum corps show but it would be AWESOME to see it filled with thousands of screaming DCI fans. Then again, the marching activity in the Pacific Northwest is fairly dry. They DO have GREAT marching bands, but there are so few. So who knows that population wise, a DCI World Championship in Seattle would have a big crowd. I know DCI is big on going where the crowds will go. Still, Huskie Stadium WOULD be great!! :D :D

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: dci championships in so cali....

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:39 pm

guardguy18 wrote:might be a little small but there's the Rose Bowl, and the Coliseum...... it also could be up north like at University of the Pacific or Fresno State
The University of the Pacific's Tiger Stadium in Stockton is WAY, WAY too small to hold an event the caliber of the DCI World Championships.

ronsj
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ronsj » Wed May 07, 2003 7:54 pm

hboyce wrote:Qualcomm stadium would be a horible venue for DCI championships. It was built as a baseball stadium not a football stadium. There are no good venue in San Diego, let alone anywhere in Southern California to host the DCI championships. It would be nice to hear the last scores at finals then have to drive north for 15 minutes to get home, it's not going to happen.
I hate to bring up old topics but Qualcomm Stadium wasn't built as a baseball stadium. It was built as a hybrid football/baseball stadium and bands perform at Chargers' halftime shows every season. But they probably won't be able to schedule the Finals there since the Chargers have their pre-season games and the Padres have their regular-season games. (Not to mention concerts, motocross, monster truck shows, etc.)

Edit/Correction: The Padres will be in their new ballpark by 2004 so Qualcomm will be a football-only stadium. So it is possible to have the Finals there...

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: dci championships in so cali....

Post by Wildabeast » Thu May 08, 2003 10:41 am

guardguy18 wrote:might be a little small but there's the Rose Bowl, and the Coliseum...... it also could be up north like at University of the Pacific or Fresno State
In other posts in other forums, there has been talk that the flat design of the Rose Bowl doesn't do the acoustics any justice. The Coliseum probably isn't in the safest of locations. UOP is too small a venue. Fresno State might be a little on the small side as well, but the summer heat could also be a factor (as with Stockton).

Someone else mentioned the Black Hole (aka Raiders/A's), but that's just like Qualcomm - more designed for baseball and someone told me that the field is horrible.

Candlestick Park? Maybe, but the wind could be a factor as well as the price of having it there.

Spartan Stadium....not sure about yet.

hboyce
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by hboyce » Thu May 08, 2003 9:26 pm

rebu wrote:
hboyce wrote:Qualcomm stadium would be a horible venue for DCI championships. It was built as a baseball stadium not a football stadium. There are no good venue in San Diego, let alone anywhere in Southern California to host the DCI championships. It would be nice to hear the last scores at finals then have to drive north for 15 minutes to get home, it's not going to happen.
I hate to bring up old topics but Qualcomm Stadium wasn't built as a baseball stadium. It was built as a hybrid football/baseball stadium and bands perform at Chargers' halftime shows every season. But they probably won't be able to schedule the Finals there since the Chargers have their pre-season games and the Padres have their regular-season games. (Not to mention concerts, motocross, monster truck shows, etc.)

Edit/Correction: The Padres will be in their new ballpark by 2004 so Qualcomm will be a football-only stadium. So it is possible to have the Finals there...
It would not be possible to have finals there. The area isn't exactly parking friendly or traffic friendly. And it was built as a baseball stadium. It just happens to be long enough to put a football field on. Also the stadium seating is no where near enough to host finals. And I believe the boxes are in behind the backstop and not directly in front of where the football field lies. I haven't been for some months now so some of this may be wrong. But it definetely is not a sutible location for finals week.
--Hunter

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed May 14, 2003 12:45 am

hboyce wrote:And it was built as a baseball stadium. It just happens to be long enough to put a football field on. Also the stadium seating is no where near enough to host finals.
Sorry, but you are entirely, completely, 100% wrong. :dunce:

Here's a history lesson...

Local San Diego sportswriter Jack Murphy convinced Barron Hilton, owner of the Los Angeles Chargers, to move out of the coliseum and down to San Diego. But San Diego at the time didn't have a big-time stadium, so they started constructing one in Mission Valley. On August 20, 1967 the San Diego Chargers played their first game in the newly completed San Diego Stadium.

The Stadium was later named for the sportswriter who brought San Diego its first professional sports franchise (the Chargers), and many of us old-timers still refer to it as "The Murph" (I refuse to call it "The Big Q," even though my cousin is a project head/VP at Qualcomm).

Lastly, the stadium (in football configuration) holds 71,500 people... WAY more than is necessary for the DCI Championships (which draw 20,000-25,000).

-Phantom Phan (born and raised: San Diego, CA)

ronsj
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ronsj » Wed May 14, 2003 3:36 pm

Thank you, Phantom Phan. Somebody finally got it right. :D