Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:
Che! wrote:
Chaporch wrote: were you there??
yea i was. svc show lacked energy and super simple. it didnt move me nor the people around me. BDB clearly had a better show both musically and visually and they threw down in finals
Dang judges....probably had it out for the Devils since day one, hanh?

:roll:
*gasp* :o

THE GREAT ONE SEES THE LIGHT!
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us

Sirsplitalot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: VANGUARD CADETS!!

Post by Sirsplitalot » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:53 pm

i kind of dislike when people say its ok, if you threw down, then u really are a champion....i think those are the people that never got that close....cuz people that were in organizations that should have won, but didnt, know that silver isnt good enough...cuz in the history books, the gold goes to that other corps.....

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:10 am

I dislike these people that assume a drum corps season is a failure if you don't finish first. I think these people don't even have one clue what drum corps is all about. I think these people should talk to some members of 1995 Madison Scouts and 2003 Phantom Regiment.

SkyDog
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SkyDog » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:13 pm

Sirsplitalot wrote:i kind of dislike when people say its ok, if you threw down, then u really are a champion....i think those are the people that never got that close....cuz people that were in organizations that should have won, but didnt, know that silver isnt good enough...cuz in the history books, the gold goes to that other corps.....
If you throw down and kick ***, people will remember that even if you don't win. Star of Indiana's 1993 show is widely considered one of the best of all time. Phantom Regiment's 1989 show still gets talked about almost 20 years later even though they didn't win.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:36 pm

Sirsplitalot wrote:i kind of dislike when people say its ok, if you threw down, then u really are a champion....i think those are the people that never got that close....cuz people that were in organizations that should have won, but didnt, know that silver isnt good enough...cuz in the history books, the gold goes to that other corps.....
That may be in NASCAR or professional football or baseball, but I strongly disagree with you in regards to drum corps. The message above refers to just two shows that are legendary and NOT the "gold medal" winner for their years. There are many, many more legendary shows in the annals of drum corps. Perhaps that term "champion" is misused because I DO agree with you that there is only ONE champion, but there are shows that stand WAY out...even above the champion performance for any particular year.

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:49 pm

One of my friends in scvc says their win came from two extra practice sessions, one during I&E and the other during world class semi's. It's just one guys opinion, but you never know. With the competition that close two practices could really make a difference.
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

DigitalRonin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DigitalRonin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Actually if you break it down..the difference was the matter of opinion of the set of judges on that particular day during that particular performance.

Agreeing with most of the others here...there are MANY championship (IE Gold Medal) shows that I can't recall a single note from. Yet I can recall almost note for note other shows that didn't get gold...or even a medal in the same year.

I'm one of those guys that goes by the "the audience is your main judge" philosophy...that might go against the Drum Corps grain, but if you aim to please the crowd and perform you butts off...good things will happen (even if those folks that put a particular number on a particular piece of paper have other opinions).
Design Caption Head - Independence High School

Sirsplitalot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Sirsplitalot » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:
That may be in NASCAR or professional football or baseball, but I strongly disagree with you in regards to drum corps. The message above refers to just two shows that are legendary and NOT the "gold medal" winner for their years. There are many, many more legendary shows in the annals of drum corps. Perhaps that term "champion" is misused because I DO agree with you that there is only ONE champion, but there are shows that stand WAY out...even above the champion performance for any particular year.
thanks turner.. i actually understand where everyone is coming from, it just isnt the same when its silver...im gunna admit that was my first season of dci, i might not understand the 'meaning' of it, but silver hurt when gold was in my hand all season!!

The Green and Gold Devil

Re:

Post by The Green and Gold Devil » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:15 pm

phatbob2007 wrote:i don't think anyone got screwed, besides what qualifies you to criticize the dci judges. every year people disagree with outcomes in championships and finals across the nation, if BDB really had that amazing of a show i'm sure they know it, and the feeling right after you throw down that amazing show beat any awards ceremony hands down, im sure both organizations worked very hard to get the reviews they did, and so what if the score sheet says SCVC wins by what was is .05? i mean that is such a minuscule amount anything could have lead to it. besides i HIGHLY doubt that the DCI judges were out to screw BD, they just thought that SCVC and Phantom had better shows on that given night...oh well.
w\We did have an amazing show. As a member of the pit, we we're as close to perfect as humans can get. The mood was literally electric when we pushed off the field. I could barely contain the emotions that were going threw me: Excitement, Ecstasy, others i can't even describe. I had people telling me (at World Class Finals) that they were really impressed by our show, and it made me feel really really good.
Control to BDB Flight 2-0-0-8. You are now clear for Take-off..

The Green and Gold Devil

Post by The Green and Gold Devil » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 pm

Sirsplitalot wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:
thanks turner.. i actually understand where everyone is coming from, it just isnt the same when its silver...im gunna admit that was my first season of dci, i might not understand the 'meaning' of it, but silver hurt when gold was in my hand all season!!
It really does. Especially when your corps has never come that close to winning, and may never come that close again...
Control to BDB Flight 2-0-0-8. You are now clear for Take-off..

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:08 am

The Green and Gold Devil wrote:
It really does. Especially when your corps has never come that close to winning, and may never come that close again...

never say never - 2009 is around the corner - and unless you can see the future... then you may never know...

just something to work towards...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Re:

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 am

The Green and Gold Devil wrote:We did have an amazing show. As a member of the pit, we we're as close to perfect as humans can get.
:roll:

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Re:

Post by BDinkel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:48 am

Hostrauser wrote: Maybe it's just me, but after 12 titles complaints about "getting screwed" start to get a little weak. IMO, the last time BD got screwed was in 1995, and that was immediately made up for the following year with a Championship they had no business even sharing.

95 BD is my favorite show of all time, but when you watch Cavies 95, even I have to give it up. Nearly flawless, with a pretty ground-breaking visual design.

Phantom 96 is also probably one of my favorite shows of all time, especially the first 2 minutes, but you can't deny that BD 96 was also excellent, though in different ways.

Obviously, no one could touch Phantom's hornline in 96, they were absolutely incredible... but its easy to forget that the Blue Devils' percussion and guard were equally amazing that season, not to mention the show itself. I think they had a 9.9 in percussion finals night, if I remember correctly. One of the most ambitious books ever written at that point. I really enjoyed Phantom 96, but I don't think it grabbed you from start to finish like BD 96.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Re:

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:41 am

BDinkel wrote:95 BD is my favorite show of all time, but when you watch Cavies 95, even I have to give it up. Nearly flawless, with a pretty ground-breaking visual design.
Great visual design. Also one of the most boring brass books I've ever heard from a DCI champion. I didn't think it was possible to make "The Planets" a snooze-fest, but the Cavaliers did it. Great opener (Mars), great closer (Jupiter, part III), but everything in between was a snooze-fest (Venus, Mercury, Jupiter parts I and some of II).
Phantom 96 is also probably one of my favorite shows of all time, especially the first 2 minutes, but you can't deny that BD 96 was also excellent, though in different ways.

Obviously, no one could touch Phantom's hornline in 96, they were absolutely incredible... but its easy to forget that the Blue Devils' percussion and guard were equally amazing that season, not to mention the show itself. I think they had a 9.9 in percussion finals night, if I remember correctly. One of the most ambitious books ever written at that point. I really enjoyed Phantom 96, but I don't think it grabbed you from start to finish like BD 96.
Ironically, with as much as I like Shostakovich and as much as I like Phantom Regiment, 96 Phantom doesn't even make my Top 3 of Phantom shows.

BD 96... oh, it grabs you right off the bat, sure. And the drumline was phenomenal. But that show was kind of like the Cavies the year before: the middle six or seven minutes were just wholly unmemorable for me. And I thought Phantom won the "intensity" and musical effect portions by miles.