The only High School D&B Corps

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Bass_NPHS

The only High School D&B Corps

Post by Bass_NPHS » Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:05 pm

I'm in the only High school D&B corps in the USA... Can anyone help me on how to make my Drumline the Best???
Thanks

hawthornePIT

no your not

Post by hawthornePIT » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:34 pm

im in a corps that is a high school corps, were getting evaluated br dci right now, so no, your not the only HS corps in america, its called west coast coast sound, bastard
Triplett

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:19 pm

im in a corps that is a high school corps, were getting evaluated br dci right now, so no, your not the only HS corps in america, its called west coast coast sound, bastard
Yeah that's real nice.. calling people bastards for no reason...

Anyway, how is WCS associated with a HS? Most drum corps are independant groups (a few are associated with colleges.. but ive never seen a DCI corps associated with a high school) and on the WCS website I havent seen anything that would lead me to believe they are part of any high school...

See you on the field.
-Drum Corps Pit 2003

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

high school

Post by Cole167888 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:58 pm

there's a ton of high school drum corps....well corps that high school students can do...almost all division 2 and 3 corps and some division 1 are open...Blue Devils B is all high school students...what corps are you in?
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Bass_NPHS

Post by Bass_NPHS » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:38 am

No i mean that my public school has a Drum Corps not any type of band
we are the only one in usa

hawthornePIT

Post by hawthornePIT » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:52 pm

i mean the same thing... were going to be a division 3 corps, its not compiled of different schools, its our own schools corps, called west coast sound
Triplett

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Wha??

Post by MalletMusic » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:59 pm

Are you sure HawthornePIT? Last time I checked West Coast Sound was accepting members from all over Southern California and claiming to be an independant drum corps set to exhibition this summer in DCI... I ahvent seen or heard anything that says they are Hawthorne's Corps.

Bass_NPHS: What drum corps is that? Do they just do exhibition or whatnot in the Florida area?

I know that Arizona Academy has been working the last couple years at forming a corps at their school, this is their last year as "Summer Brass and Percussion Ensemble" because next year they will be adding a guard and finally have the name of 'Drum and Bugle Corps.'

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:29 pm

Some corps still use G horns, a lot of them have switched to Bb.

STO
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by STO » Sat May 03, 2003 12:49 am

I BELIEVE I know what he's saying and I do not think they are in any way associated with DCI. I know one local high school in my area has a drum corps type band but they do indoor competitions in I think a gym, not a field. That's all I know. I will ask my friend next time I'm able to talk to her. So... I'm not sure what it is. I'll just leave it as "if it's not DCI related, then it's not drum corps."

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Sun May 04, 2003 4:42 pm

umm... West Coast Sound has accually been around since the late 90's, though they have been inactive for the past few years. They are an independant Drum and Bugle Corps operating out of Los Angeles County I believe. They have been advertising that anyone in the Los Angeles, Orange, or Inland Empire area may join the corps for 2003.

Though corps may use high schools as training and camp locations, they are not affiliated with the corps. If you say that WCS is affiliated with the school that you say they are affiliated with, then I'm wondering what kind of financial obligations the school is handling.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Unreal dude...

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat May 10, 2003 1:04 pm

Why oh WHY do people have to get all defensive? Don't call people bastards. It only makes your corps look bad, since you've chosen to be anonymous. And believe me, I'm the king of making things look bad because of some mistakes I've made in the past. Keep it clean, brudda.

Now...I don't know how to answer the original posters question, however, I wanted to comment on the high school sponsoring a drum corps...not as HawthornePit interpreted as being a corps with "high schoolers" in it. Two different things.

I heard that there was a true, high school-sponsored drum and bugle corps out of Florida if I'm not mistaken. Totally inclusive to the school. Apparently they have what it takes to field that kind of group. There is only ONE corps in competition right now TRULY sponsored by a university, and that is JSU's Spirit from Georgia. However, SEVERAL corps have affiliations on different levels of involvement with colleges (Impulse with Cerritos, Pacific Crest with Citrus, etc, etc). There is ONE high school in southern California that sponsors a drum and brass group, that is strictly indoor. That would be Rancho Buena Vista's "EVOLUTION" group. I have no idea how they are or what they are doing, but the original thought they had when they formed the group was to perform at winter guard shows and expand possibly to other type events (non-competitve).

My personal opinion: It is FOOLHARDY to have any high school or parent booster group of a high school band to sponsor any drum and bugle corps that would have something to do with DCI. The variables involved, the complexity, the logistics....I can only say that from first-hand experience it's hard enough to run a high school marching band. There would be no upside, or at least VERY little, for a high school to sponsor a drum and bugle corps. And quite honestly, a "high school" proper would NEVER sponsor a corps, but a parent booster group from a purely hypothetical standpoint, could.

And yes HawthornePit, there ARE high schoolers in practically every single corps. A little history lesson would be good for you, too. Drum and bugle corps, as it was back when they started, were an offshoot of the military, and provided a means and way for kids to get involved in something worthwhile. DCI didn't start this whole thing...it started long long ago with the American Legion, Catholic Youth Organization, etc, etc. DCI was the standardization of all these seperate circuits with different rules. And the debate rages in other forums if DCI really serves the YOUTH today--

My 2 cents...long-winded as usual....

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Sat May 10, 2003 10:03 pm

There is only ONE corps in competition right now TRULY sponsored by a university, and that is JSU's Spirit from Georgia.
Actually, That would be Spirit of JSU from Jacksonville, Alabama :) They used to be Spirit of Atlanta (I'm sure you knew that anyway). :cheers: