Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

ChamberKid209
New Recruit
New Recruit

Sax is not for only for jazz

Post by ChamberKid209 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Your opinions?

First, check out Marcel Mule, San Francisoco Saxophone Quartet (the Bari player was accually my teacher for awhile) or look up pioneers of classical sax

After your done, post a reply on your opinion.

I'm one of the few people that sax is a classical instrument and not jazz
Last edited by ChamberKid209 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Sax is not for jazz

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Sax is great for solo work and small ensembles, but when composing I hate writing for it because (to me) its sound blends very poorly with the standard orchestral winds. It has too brassy of a sound to blend well with other woodwinds, and too reedy of a sound to blend well with brass (less of a problem the louder the passage).

BUT, that's not to say it's without orchestral application. Shostakovich used saxophones to great effect in may of his ballet suites and film scores (most famously the Waltz #2 to "Suite for Variety Stage Orchestra").

mredom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mredom » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Of course sax is for jazz. As is trumpet, horn, trombone, clarinet...

Jazz is an idiom for musical expression, it should be played by musicians.

BTW, instruments aren't defined by genre, genres are defined by musicians and composers. Don't get categorized by "the man". lol!
"Here's the thing..."

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:09 pm

I have a recording from 1940 that is purely woodwind jazz .. sax, flute and clarinet. It is the only reason I picked the clarinet as my primary instrument. My dad would turn in his grave to hear that sax isn't for jazz since that's all he played on his from 1945 to 1953.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:54 pm

For me, this statement is just like saying "Guitar is for classical music only, not for gypsy flamenco music, rock, jazz, blues, none of that. Andrés Segovia said so." It just sounds so inconceivably ignorant that I can't really think of a way to express my feelings without using expletives.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir