Jazz Combo Instrumentation/arrangement

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

WildMooseStyle
Rookie
Rookie

Jazz Combo Instrumentation/arrangement

Post by WildMooseStyle » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:19 pm

I'm starting a Jazz Combo in South Orange County, and I'd like to know how some of the instrumentation is in some other combos out there. Also, how do you arrange the charts (for winds). More specifically, how would you hand out the parts for: 1 trumpet, 1 alto, 1 tenor/bari, 1 trombone?
Solid Gold Sound

'05-'06: Trumpet Section Leader, Hornline Captain
'06-'07: Drum Major
'07-'08: UCLA 1st Trumpet

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:25 am

i play drums in a combo thats got drums, bass, piano, a tenor sax, and an alto sax. im pretty sure you could get by with less than that, and more would be even cooler (maybe). as for charts, RealBook all the way...i dont even use music at all, so i cant really help you with your other questions.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:27 am

i play drums in a combo thats got drums, bass, piano, a tenor sax, and an alto sax. im pretty sure you could get by with less than that, and more would be even cooler (maybe). as for charts, RealBook all the way...i dont even use music at all, so i cant really help you with your other questions.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

GreyFox112
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GreyFox112 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:40 pm

RBSnare wrote:i play drums in a combo thats got drums, bass, piano, a tenor sax, and an alto sax. im pretty sure you could get by with less than that, and more would be even cooler (maybe). as for charts, RealBook all the way...i dont even use music at all, so i cant really help you with your other questions.
Heh, I get by with less than that. I have a little thing going with drums, bass, tenor, and alto. Fakebooks are pretty much a necessity...but make sure you familiarize yourself with the music. Most fakebooks (especially the Real Book) have gigantic glaring errors.

Also, if you know your way around Finale and have a solid understanding of chord theory, you can write your own songs. I have a few in my book. Simplicity is the key. As long as you have decent chord changes, the complexity can open itself up in the solo section. You don't want to get too into writing an insane head because often times you'll find that you're never satisfied and turn it into a much bigger project than it needs to be.

As far as your question for how to arrange it, it's up to you. Generally you're going to have the trumpet play the melody. You have the option to have your alto play it too, or you can have it play something under it. Your tenor/bari and bone are probably going to play some kind of supporting part under it. Nothing fancy, just something that will outline the chords.

Good luck.

-=(CXII)=-
Obviously, the 'J' is for Jesbo.
And the 'B', well...that's for Burnination

saxman

Post by saxman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:34 pm

I play in acombo in kern county. We have an alto(me), a trumpet, a set drummer and a pianist. In my oppinion having ledd players is a good idea becouse it gives room for solo developent. Thats the only help I can offer.
saxman

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Jazz Combo Instrumentation/arrangement

Post by Ex Nihilo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:38 am

Confederate Brass wrote:I'm starting a Jazz Combo in South Orange County, and I'd like to know how some of the instrumentation is in some other combos out there. Also, how do you arrange the charts (for winds). More specifically, how would you hand out the parts for: 1 trumpet, 1 alto, 1 tenor/bari, 1 trombone?
well... for trumpets, hand out first to the one with the range. and second to the one with the better tecnical... (2nd has the solos just in case you didn't know)

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

A little bigger group

Post by Jsaxm » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:27 am

The combo that I have at my school consists of a set player, piano, guitar, and bass. For winds we have a tenor sax, trumpet, and a bone. It is a little bigger group then some may want, but it has worked out really good for us and it allows you to have a little more fun with parts.

As for music, like most everyone else has said, real books are the way to go. Just make sure they are correct. I think as they keep making new editions some of the mistakes are being caught, but just be careful and check it over before you play it.
You just can't encourage stupidity