whats your top ten in regards to concert bands?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:49 pm

well im not very educated in concert band
but i know my winde ensemble (hart) went to BOA 2 years ago and went to WBA last year

Paradoxical Wit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Uhh u forgot one

Post by Paradoxical Wit » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:20 pm

Iono
Last edited by Paradoxical Wit on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We Are Not Just Coming, We Are Coming Out Of The Dark!

Mallet_Mike
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Mallet_Mike » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:35 pm

James Logan High School Wind Ensemble

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Uhh u forgot one

Post by dudewheresmycar » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:32 pm

Paradoxical Wit wrote:The top three bands, named by scsboa are in this order 1. Rancho Bernardo. 2 Diamond Bar High School 3. Mt. Carmel. I know that DBHS isnt as well known as Rancho or Mt Carmel but we still do exist. :bow: :nenr: :shock:
These are probably the top three in California.

It's not just their concert bands, you've got to hear their Symphony Orchestras and Chamber Orchestras as well.

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:18 pm

Hmm...considering I've only heard a few, I'd just have to say that my opinion really doesn't count. I don't think it's fair to judge all of the groups because I've only heard a few. So, I say nothing. lol. I am a dork, I agree.
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:38 pm

I'm probably pretty biased here, but for northern california at least, I think the Leigh High School Wind Ensemble is good! The year I was a freshman, they went to Carnegie Hall (and I think was the best high school band there?), then last year we went to the Pacific Basin Music Festival in Honolulu and won the command performance for best band, and this April we'll be going to a festival in Boston, and hopefully, we'll do well! :D
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:50 am

Rancho Bernardo is very good. they prefecto, not good. there's alot of good bands out there but theres even more sucky bands, so yea

pitchick00
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pitchick00 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:37 pm

to represent some Norcal heads, benicia hs is pretty good. i haven't actually ventured out into the concert band arena since i left high school in 2000. back then i know the concert band competition was tough...Benicia, Fairfield, and Vallejo HS's. (hahaha...i'm being bias about Vallejo High School, but we DID outscore Benicia and Fairfield on occasion).
I'm not sure how it is now but I know the Sac State Symphonic Wind Ensemble is AWESOME! :D

MccM 003

Re: Uhh u forgot one

Post by MccM 003 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:08 am

dudewheresmycar wrote:
Paradoxical Wit wrote:The top three bands, named by scsboa are in this order 1. Rancho Bernardo. 2 Diamond Bar High School 3. Mt. Carmel. I know that DBHS isnt as well known as Rancho or Mt Carmel but we still do exist. :bow: :nenr: :shock:
These are probably the top three in California.

It's not just their concert bands, you've got to hear their Symphony Orchestras and Chamber Orchestras as well.
Exactly . . . and just out of curousity where did these rankings come from? It would be neat to see them. Another thing to take into account that reflects the quality of a group is the number of students that get into in each of the honor groups: All-Southern, All-State (Band, Jazz Band, and Orchestra), Honor Band of America and Honor Orchestra of America. I know RB and Mt. Carmel consistently send many students to All-State each year, and Mt. Carmel has sent consistently sent numerous members to the Honor Band of America for at least the past 5 years. Diamond Bar also had a clarinet in the Honor Band of America last year, in fact I got to play next to him =) and I know Vista had a trombone in Honor Band of America last year as well. Another thing that I thought was really cool was that out of 100 students at the Honor Band of America last year, 9 of them were from Southern California, and there were 11 from California all together.

I guess the main point I'm trying to make is there are so many great bands in California it's hard to pick one that stands out above the rest, but one of the many ways you can tell is through representation in honor groups. Southern California has some great musicians, and we need to continue to make a name for ourselves not just in the state but on the national level as well.

Oh, and I would have to say that Rancho Bernardo, Mt. Carmel, Vista, and Diamond Bar, and Thousand Oaks are in my opinion the top groups in Southern California. Let's all continue to represent our schools and our state at festivals and in the various honor groups out there. Southern California bands rock.

And there's my two cents.
USC Class of 2009
Mt Carmel Class of 2005
2004 HBOA
2005 Tournament of Roses HBOA
2005 HBOA
2005 California All-State Band
Fight On!