Some Symphonic Band problems

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

SwinginClariSaxMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Some Symphonic Band problems

Post by SwinginClariSaxMan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:02 pm

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone else went through this kind of thing and can give me advice. Ok, well I really love Symphonic band and think it is the world more important then marching band even though I really enjoy that to. Well see the problem at my school is everyone in the band program only cares about the marching band it seems. I was just remebering the festival season and we could done so much better. It makes me so mad when people can go home and practice Tribute to Troy for marching band but then don't even try to improve(again it seems this way) in symphonic and when the melophone players in marching learned they had to play french horn in symphonic got all mad and all they really concentrated on learning in symphonic was Conquest which is also a marching band song. I mean if they just put as much effort into symphonic as they do marching we would be good just like we are in marching band. I guess it just makes me mad I guess cause I really think our symphonic band has the potential to be great. SO has anyone else felt this way about their band and can give advice on what I could about it? Thanks
Clarinet in Knight High School Symphonic Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

Tenor Sax in Knight High School Destiny Alliance Regiment Marching Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

DaRcLaRiNeT910
New Recruit
New Recruit

i know what you're saying!

Post by DaRcLaRiNeT910 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:13 pm

I definately agree with what you're saying about our band!Festival really sucked for us and that was a huge disappointment. I also wish there was a way to show people in our band that symphonic band is just as important as marching!
Last edited by DaRcLaRiNeT910 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarinet in Knight High School Marching Band and Symphonic Band

rita sue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rita sue » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:18 am

Yeah I agree..I should bring up the point that doing well in concert band would probably improve your marching season..

Our band director tells us a lot (cause we tend to forget too :roll: ) that one of the biggest problems in a marching band is that the band only concentrates on playing really really loud and can forget how important it is to be musical, for instance, forgetting things like tone quality, dynamic contrast, and balance. Concentrating more on symphonic band could probably help with that problem a lot...

so you might wanna bring that up..
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."--Spike, BtVS

SwinginClariSaxMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SwinginClariSaxMan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:47 am

Our director has said that before I think but my band also tends to forget. lol. I'll be sure to bring that up again sometime.

Tenor Sax in Knight High School Destiny Alliance Regiment Marching Band 2004-2005, 2005-2006

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 am

my bands different, its the opposite. people here dont care about marching band as much as they do for our concert bands. although were ok in marching band.
CSU, Fresno
2007 - Present

Clovis High School
2003 - 2007

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:12 pm

yeah our band's opposite too. well it depends. because a lot of ppl in our symphonic band like marching better, and a lot of ppl in our wind ensemble like concert better. i personally love both, and couldn't choose one over the other, but i know what you mean.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:25 pm

Our director drills us hard on musicality, so that translates to both concert and marching. However, our band exhibits similar apathy for both concert and marching, which is kinda sad. What a waste of talent.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:04 am

talk to your director about music choices. the reason my band doesn't like some concert peices is that they're boring.

SwinginClariSaxMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SwinginClariSaxMan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:26 pm

That can be true. I know we played a boring song, that I can't remeber, for a while then we got Procession of the Sardar and everyone practiced cause it was unique I guess. I should mention that to him. Thanks

FlutyCuty16
New Recruit
New Recruit

Symphonic band problems

Post by FlutyCuty16 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:18 pm

We have played Boring sorrys. I want to play slower songs. Prettier songs. Fast songs are cool to though. What would you rather play? People like Diana ( flute ) and Stephanie (sax-flute) shouldnt be in there. Because they arent good enough and they bring us down. I cant believe we got a GOOD I thought we were gonna get better. We just have some slackers that dont practice. I am glad we got some good clarinets coming in though. We need more Knight people on here. But yeah if anyone in here plays Trombone and could give advice please do. Or any advice for getting first chair in symphonic band I would appreciate it. Hey, trent we should explain this stuff to Hambo. I cant wait for next years Symphonic band! I wonder what songs we're gonna play. hmmmm ok bye! :)
Principle flute and first piccolo at Knight High

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:55 pm

If, as you say, the band really does not care about concert season, then changing your music selection will only cure the symptom, not the root cause. The way to do it is to show the people how important musicality is and how it can actually affect the performance. I can't give any specific advice on this, but all I know is that changing to more "interesting" music will not be a final solution.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

SwinginClariSaxMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SwinginClariSaxMan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:51 am

That does make sense. Well I'll bring all these ideas up to Hambo probably if ity doesn't change this year.

FlutyCuty16
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by FlutyCuty16 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:07 pm

What songs do you suggest? I think it's the people in the symphonic band urghhh .
Principle flute and first piccolo at Knight High

DaRcLaRiNeT910
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DaRcLaRiNeT910 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:17 pm

i agree with corrin!the people in our symphonic band just dont seem to care :x
Clarinet in Knight High School Marching Band and Symphonic Band

rita sue
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rita sue » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:24 pm

I can understand how the people in wind ensemble rather than wind symphony would enjoy concert season more...
I have to admit I was kinda bitter about it last year after not making it into wind ensemble...
the good thing about marching band is that everyone practices and performs together so no one feels bad about being put in a lower band.
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."--Spike, BtVS