Theory Books

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Theory Books

Post by EMT-911 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:01 pm

I was looking for some theory books for My Girlfriend, And I don't know what to get!! Any Ideas?
WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
~High Above, the river valley...~

Paloma Valley High School brass and marching advisor

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:27 pm

Beginning theory? Advanced theory? Orchestration theory?

In college I was taught theory with the "Music: In Theory and Practice" books by Bruce Benward and Gary White (Fifth Edition). Volumes 1&2 are good starting points for theory.

The Fifth Edition was put out in 1993, so they're probably up to edition seven or eight by now. Still, I recommend them, and you can probably find them at a college bookstore.

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EMT-911 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:49 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:Beginning theory? Advanced theory? Orchestration theory?

In college I was taught theory with the "Music: In Theory and Practice" books by Bruce Benward and Gary White (Fifth Edition). Volumes 1&2 are good starting points for theory.

The Fifth Edition was put out in 1993, so they're probably up to edition seven or eight by now. Still, I recommend them, and you can probably find them at a college bookstore.
Well, that was the one I was looking at. Actually, I think it was either te first or second edition. How would I get it?

swuster
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by swuster » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:28 pm

i learned my music theory with the keith snell series of piano theory books...just my two cents...i found them helpful, but they get quite repetetive from book to book.
WoP Champion!
2005 SD Alternative
MCHS Marching Sundevils
DON'T GO HERE

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:23 am

Penguin Gunner wrote:

Well, that was the one I was looking at. Actually, I think it was either te first or second edition. How would I get it?
I dunno. Read my message again. ;)

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:26 am

Phantom Phan wrote:
Penguin Gunner wrote:

Of course it would have to a college that uses that book. Before you drive out to SDSU or Point Loma, etc. Give the book store a call. You would also have to go at a time when the books are in stock.

An even better idea would be to go to Amazon.com. They have it listed
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EMT-911 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:26 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
Penguin Gunner wrote:

The thing is, I don't go to college, don't even know where the college book store is, so I think I will just have Alans Music order it. Would that work?

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:48 pm

Penguin Gunner wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote:
Penguin Gunner wrote: Well, that was the one I was looking at. Actually, I think it was either te first or second edition. How would I get it?
The thing is, I don't go to college, don't even know where the college book store is, so I think I will just have Alans Music order it. Would that work?
You have got to read the reponses to your questions. :?

I responded this morning.....go to Amazon.com they have it listed!!!! :)
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Online sites also

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:28 pm

There are some online sites available:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm
http://www.musictheory.net/
http://www.musicarrangers.com/star-theory/

I'm sure there are others, but take a look at those.
-Stop global whining.