the top 3 jazz?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Eric B
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Eric B » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:08 pm

I've got to admit, as a LB Poly alum ('87) it's odd to hear us mentioned with the likes of Hemet as we were OK back then (Intermediate with ventures into Advanced). It goes to show what the directors (andy Osman and later, Chris Stevens) have done with a music program that was unfortunately typical of inner-city schools back then.

rosski47
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rosski47 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:10 pm

I would say this year that Buchanan is the best Jazz band in the state, and one of the best in the nation.

And don't even get me started on their combo... :shock:
-Ross-
Alto Sax Player
Clovis High '09
Indiana University '13

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thunderdrmz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:09 pm

This seems to be an impossible question. Jazz festivals are so local that we don't get to see as many schools as we would for marching band. We have some serious swinging high schools here in San Diego though.
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:35 pm

Agreed, it is hard to really decide this, and yes SD has a lot of great programs. But it's fun to speculate. :D

shannon111denise

Post by shannon111denise » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:15 pm

Considering the Buchanan High Jazz Band from Clovis just won the Monterey Next Generation Jazz festival, it would rank them pretty high up there.

Pretty high up there in the nation, actually. Top in the nation.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:08 pm

Let me take a wild guess here...

...you're from Buchanan? :roll:

Chillax. Regardless of how good Buchanan is, winning one competition on one day is insufficient to declare oneself the best anything other than best on that day in that location.

[/niceness]
Besides, I'll wager $20 that the Jazz I band at El Dorado HS from Placentia could beat Buchanan any day, any where. :cool:

[niceness]

;)

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thunderdrmz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Let me take a wild guess here...

Chillax. Regardless of how good Buchanan is, winning one competition on one day is insufficient to declare oneself the best anything other than best on that day in that location.

[/niceness]
Besides, I'll wager $20 that the Jazz I band at El Dorado HS from Placentia could beat Buchanan any day, any where. :cool:

[niceness]

;)
Wow. Ouch. And I bet your football team sucks as well! So there
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:26 am

shannon111denise wrote:Considering the Buchanan High Jazz Band from Clovis just won the Monterey Next Generation Jazz festival, it would rank them pretty high up there.

Top in the nation???? Wow, talk about a really bold statment. I must have missed the galactic championship results this year....

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:38 am

I think the judging of music more a subjective thing. Everyone can roughly agree on a bands technical aptitude, but thats a poor judge of its overall character--especially in Jazz where traditional techniques are turned on their heads. For example, my grandfather abhorred Miles Davis and would always say that the best jazz trumpeters were Ziggy Elman and Hary James (from Benny Goodman's Band). For him this was an issue not of skill, but of style. He liked the big band era, plain and simple.
Thus to say who the top bands are is a tough choice. I think you could get a rough agreement on many "good" bands, but not on the top "3", and especially not one the top one based of one performance...
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:55 am

BGRtumpet wrote:I think the judging of music more a subjective thing. Everyone can roughly agree on a bands technical aptitude, but thats a poor judge of its overall character--especially in Jazz where traditional techniques are turned on their heads. For example, my grandfather abhorred Miles Davis and would always say that the best jazz trumpeters were Ziggy Elman and Hary James (from Benny Goodman's Band). For him this was an issue not of skill, but of style. He liked the big band era, plain and simple.
Thus to say who the top bands are is a tough choice. I think you could get a rough agreement on many "good" bands, but not on the top "3", and especially not one the top one based of one performance...
But the question remains, who do you think are the top three jazz bands?

HAHAHAm just kidding..... :lol:

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm

shannon111denise wrote:Considering the Buchanan High Jazz Band from Clovis just won the Monterey Next Generation Jazz festival, it would rank them pretty high up there.

Knowing the Monterey Jazz Festival and their selection process, any band in the festival is one of the top bands in the state, maybe not the best band, but one of the top bands. One of the best in the nation? Maybe not so much.
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

rosski47
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re:

Post by rosski47 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:48 pm

[/niceness]

[niceness]

;)
Man Hostrauser I should've taken you up on that bet.
Buchanan beat El Dorado at the Reno Jazz festival. :wink:

Oh and it seems Downbeat magazine agreed with me, (And Shannon for that matter) seeing as how they named Buchanan the nation's top high school jazz band. :D
-Ross-
Alto Sax Player
Clovis High '09
Indiana University '13

saxGuy89
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Re:

Post by saxGuy89 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:15 pm

rosski47 wrote:

[/niceness]

[niceness]

;)

Oh and it seems Downbeat magazine agreed with me, (And Shannon for that matter) seeing as how they named Buchanan the nation's top high school jazz band. :D
I'm pretty sure the school has to submit an application for that. You'd have to prove that El Dorado submitted one. :)
"Keep Cool my Babies!"
~ Conan O'Brien

rosski47
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Re:

Post by rosski47 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:59 pm

saxGuy89 wrote:
rosski47 wrote:

[/niceness]

[niceness]

;)

I'm pretty sure the school has to submit an application for that. You'd have to prove that El Dorado submitted one. :)

Other than the fact that I already proved Buchanan beat them head to head. :wink:
-Ross-
Alto Sax Player
Clovis High '09
Indiana University '13