6th Annual Invitational Concert Festival

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Music Education
Section Leader
Section Leader

6th Annual Invitational Concert Festival

Post by Music Education » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:45 pm

California State University Fresno hosted its 6th Annual Invitational Concert Festival today in the Music Department. I had the pleasure of announcing the majority of the high school wind esnembles that performed throughout the day. Ensembles hailed from southern California, central coast California, northern California, and everything in between. I was truly amazed at the talent in many of these groups, and it was great to hear the level at which these fine musicians played. Many of these ensembles played much better than some of the college ensembles that I heard at the College Wind Fest 2 weeks ago!

Schools that attended:

Lemoore HS
Tokay HS (Lodi, CA)
Hanford HS
Kingsburg HS
Reedley HS
Amador Valley HS (Pleasanton, CA)
California State University Fresno - Symphonic Band
California State University Fresno - Wind Ensemble
Hanford West HS
San Luis Obispo HS
Johansen HS (Modesto, CA)
Fred C. Beyer HS (Modesto, CA)
Upland HS
Clovis East
Buchanan (Clovis, CA)
Clovis

Clinicians this year:

Dr. Gerald King (University of Victoria, British Columbia)
Mr. Andy Collinsworth (Maria Carrillo HS)
Dr. Don McLaurin (Western State College of Colorado)

Johansen - Definitely on the right path! Sonora Mello is doing an outstanding job with re-building that program, and she has so much support from her mentor which is a plus. I was pleased to hear them perform. Such a small ensemble, yet powerful! Sonoras conducting was very articulate, and expressive. I liked how they made use of the size of their ensemble by playing music that was in a "chamber" like style. Wonderful program that they chose to play for us today!

Fred C. Beyer - Outstanding Wind Ensemble, and great use of dyanmics and phrasing as individuals and ensembles. I was impressed with the tone quality from individuals as well as how the sections played together. Words can't describe how I felt when they performed "Sleep" by Eric Whitacre--A beautiful piece of wind esnemble rep. and it was played with such ease by the entire ensemble.

Upland - Outstanding, outstanding, outstanding! Listening to this ensemble gave me chills down my back. This in my opinion was the best Wind Ensemble of the entire festival (including the three Clovis Schools I heard this evening). I've never heard a high school band play at such a level that made me question the level of the wind ensemble I perform in at the college level. They certainly sounded like a college ensemble. The performers had great technical skills, as well as great ensemble and individual balance. I knew their program, and couldn't wait to see what they would do with "Ghost Train" by Eric Whitacre!--Outstanding job!--We continued to talk great things about this group all throughout the day... I've never heard of this wind esnemble program until today (I've always heard their marching band), but wow!!! They definitely should be invited to play at the Mid-West Clinic in the near future! Simply outstanding, from technique, expression, to the conductor who conducted the MUSIC, not just beat patterns of the meter! We don't find too many public school music educators who conduct more than just beat patterns, and Ernie Miranda had so much energy and expression! Outstanding!

Clovis - Closed the event tonight, and they had the crowd on their edge of their seats! "Armenian Dances" was played with so much energy and seemed almost too good to be true! Mike Corrigan (director) did an outstanding job with preparing these kids for their performance. I heard them do some of these selections a few weeks ago, and they were very well presented then! Tonight was electrifying! Clovis seemed to have a lot of technical players as their strongest point. Articulations and ornaments were no issue for this group, as they expressed the music as the composers would have wanted. Great job tonight from Clovis. In fact, all 3 Clovis schools were oustanding and presented their programs in a professional way!

As a future music educator, and someone who wants to earn an M.A. in Conducting, this was a great experience! Not only did I get to watch these groups play, I got to observe different styles of conducting, as well as talk with the clinicians and directors. This just goes to show, that fun can be had in concert band settings. All of the kids that I saw on stage today looked very happy and bright!

If you would like to know more abou this event, I would gladly share it with you.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:03 pm

guh we were supposed to go, but pulled out at last minute. family emergencies aren't fun. i was bummed we weren't there.congrats to everyone who performed
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:18 pm

that was fun!!! GO CLOVIS!!!

Music Education
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Music Education » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:53 pm

Yes, a few of the Benicia alumna who attend CSU-Fresno were a little sad that you guys wouldn't be in attendance. Perhaps next year?