O Fortuna!

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

O Fortuna!

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:19 pm

70 years ago today, June 8th, 1937, Carl Orff's magnum opus Carmina Burana premiered in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.

:cheers:

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:46 pm

. . . and I will be hearing the Pacific Symphony and Pacific Chorale perform it tonight! :D

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:41 am

My ex-wife and I watched the Dallas Symphony perform this at the Meyerson Center the first year it was in operation. The concert included the first Brandenburg Concerto (J.S. Bach)--I guess they didn't think Carmina burana wasn't enough of a piece for an entire evening's program.

When the concert started, it was announced that the tenor soloist died that afternoon and they hadn't yet found a replacement for him. The Brandenburg Concerto, which was planned gave just enough time to find someone who had sung through the Orff work a few times.

Now the Meyerson has a movable sound canopy over the stage. For the Brandenburg Concerto, the canopy was set very low, as there weren't even 40 musicians from the orchestra playing.

For the Orff piece, all 105 members of the Dallas Symphony were playing, plus 150 singers in the Dallas Symphony Chorus and 200 singers in the Texas Boys Choir.

However, they were so excited about having a good, qualified tenor soloist, they forgot to raise the sound canopy!

In this picture, the sound canopy is all the way up into the ceiling. It can be lowered to the same level as the manual keyboard of the organ!