Favorite Concert Pieces

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: William Bolcom

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:03 am

armysax wrote:Gotta' be one of the most entertaining yet challenging pieces I've ever played, William Bolcom's Machine. One of the most aptly named pieces of music out there, very distinct as a programmatic work, but a whole lot of fun just to listen to, also.
Bolcom's "Machine" is actually the finale to his Fifth Symphony. It was just published seperately. Same thing with Vincent Persichetti's "'Round Me Falls the Night," which is the second movement to his... Sixth?

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:43 pm

PARIS SKETCHES! I fell in love with that piece over the weekend. It's really awesome, especially for percussion.
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:06 pm

i love armenia dances....................... we're playing it this year. yea clovis high......... the piece is so cool and so well put together. i love it.

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:30 pm

today we listened to Equus by Eric Whitacre which it turns out we might be playing in band this year. It's an awesome sounding piece, so I hope it's not too hard... :D
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:24 am

chsbando07 wrote:i love armenian dances
Which one? The "Armenian Dances" by Alfred Reed (overrated) or the "Armenian Dances" by Aram Khachaturian (outstanding)?

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:03 pm

Out of what we played this year, I have to say that I liked The Eighth Candle by Steve Reisteter the best. It starts out so beautiful, and the 5/8 rhythms later sound so cool. Overall though, my favorite concert piece has to be Persis by Hosay. I don't know if it's the group I heard it from or the piece itself, but it just has soooo much energy in it.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:34 pm

the one by alfred reed. woohoo!!!!!!!! cool piece.........

pretty_in_pit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pretty_in_pit » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:32 pm

I really like "One Day In A Small Town" movement 1, On The Breeze That Drifts About Courthouse Square and movement 4, Chasing the Band Bus by Holsinger.
Another of my favorites is "Peterloo Overture" by Malcolm Arnold arr. Charles Sayre.

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:01 am

Jakob der ludner wrote:Out of what we played this year, I have to say that I liked The Eighth Candle by Steve Reisteter the best. It starts out so beautiful, and the 5/8 rhythms later sound so cool. Overall though, my favorite concert piece has to be Persis by Hosay. I don't know if it's the group I heard it from or the piece itself, but it just has soooo much energy in it.
Yeah, eighth candle is a really cool piece. We played it too! :D
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

pitchick00
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pitchick00 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:16 pm

i've played a bunch of this stuff when i got to university level, but in high school my director chose pieces by Stephen Melillo. sophomore year was Fountainhead, and senior year was Timestorm (junior year we played Sailors and Whales by Macbeth...listen to us sing, it was lovely, sounded like a choir).
anyway, I know Melillo has to be known, cause I know SCVC did some Melillo stuff, including Plato's Cave.
Anyway, I love Melillo's stuff. just thought I'd throw it out there with all the mentions of Tichelli, Stamp (got to play Gavorkna with him conducting for county honor band), and Whitacre.

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:09 am

my favorites are Symphinic movement wich were plasying for festival this year. Elsas Procession to the Cathedra and the 1st suite in Eb wich wich we played both for festival last year. English Folk Song Suite wich we played for an audience last year. Hounds of Spring. 3rd suite, and thats about it. Were going to play Symphonic Metamorphesis this year for an audience. We havent gotten the music yet but We heard a recording of it and I liked the trombone parts. It sounds like a challenging but what can I say were the Loara band so we can pull it off if we work on it right after festival

JGuy1288

Post by JGuy1288 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:14 pm

My favorite piece would have to be Elliot del Borgo's "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night". I especially like the part when the horns and euphoniums have the melody together (counter melody? I can't remember.)

My second favorite piece probably is "Crystals" by Thomas Duffy. I just love how original it is, and especially the "Shiny, twinkling" part at the beginning, right before the trumpets start with the melody to the first movement.

lilpitprincess
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lilpitprincess » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:13 pm

A lot of my favorites have been named several times already.

I'm quite partial to Appalachain Spring, just cuz it was the field show my freshman year, that being said, I also really like Simple Gifts.

I also like-
Planets
Folk Song Suite
October
Suite of Old American Dances
Geneva Variations-Stephen Bulla

Mt. Carmel Marching Sundevil 2001-2005
2005 SD Alternative Percussion Ensemble
MCHS c/o 2005 The Sun Never Sets
Biola University Symphonic Winds 2005-2009

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:40 pm

"Rhapsody in Blue"

yes, its overrated, but i am a also a jazz player and i love it.

"Armenian Dances" - Alfred Reed.

also overrated, but it was in the show my freshman year and i fell in love with it

"Masquerade for Band" - Persichetti (sp? sorry)

an extremely cool piece, especially for a percussionist.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EMT-911 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:42 pm

Mine is Miss Sigon, because it is actually a challenge for the low brass, and it sounds awsome when you have the whole instrumentation
WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
~High Above, the river valley...~

Paloma Valley High School brass and marching advisor