try out

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

clarinetwitproblems08
Rookie
Rookie
Location: you know that one town that is by Knott's Berry farm that no one knows the name to......

try out

Post by clarinetwitproblems08 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:01 am

how many of u had to try out for ur top concert band at ur school?

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:01 pm

Isn't that customary? we did auditions for wind ensemble the end of my freshman year. However, once you're in, you're in.
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

cosmicirony7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cosmicirony7 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:22 pm

Ha, "top" concert band? We have one band. That's it. No auditions. Though I wish we did have to audition. I think our talent might be higher then, but oh well. I love my band, even if they can't tune to save their lives. :D
"Suck Less"

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:46 pm

cosmicirony7 wrote:Ha, "top" concert band? We have one band. That's it. No auditions. Though I wish we did have to audition. I think our talent might be higher then, but oh well. I love my band, even if they can't tune to save their lives. :D
how many people are in it? It must have a lot...
we have three bands, not including marching band, and the concert band (which is for freshman and people with scheduling difficulties) has I think like 80 - 100 people, the symphonic band (which is just the normal band most people go to after concert band) has somewhere around 120 I think, and the wind ensemble (which is by audition only) has about 45.
Last edited by bgirl781 on Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

cosmicirony7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cosmicirony7 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:52 pm

bgirl781 wrote:
cosmicirony7 wrote:Ha, "top" concert band? We have one band. That's it. No auditions. Though I wish we did have to audition. I think our talent might be higher then, but oh well. I love my band, even if they can't tune to save their lives. :D
we have three bands, not including marching band, and the concert band (which is for freshman and people with scheduling difficulties) has I think like 80 - 100 people, the symphonic band (which is just the normal band most people go to after concert band) has somewhere around 220 I think, and the wind ensemble (which is by audition only) has about 45.
Ours has less than 60, cause that's out marching season number, and we lost people. So I'll assume between 40 and 50?
"Suck Less"

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:54 pm

cosmicirony7 wrote:
bgirl781 wrote:
we have three bands, not including marching band, and the concert band (which is for freshman and people with scheduling difficulties) has I think like 80 - 100 people, the symphonic band (which is just the normal band most people go to after concert band) has somewhere around 220 I think, and the wind ensemble (which is by audition only) has about 45.
Ours has less than 60, cause that's out marching season number, and we lost people. So I'll assume between 40 and 50?
woops, I typed 220, but it's really 120. We're not that huge, that would be insane... :oops:
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:51 pm

We always talk about auditions. But then there would only be like a 15-20 perosn "top" band. Why? We only have 60 people who play instruments at our school.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

clarinetwitproblems08
Rookie
Rookie
Location: you know that one town that is by Knott's Berry farm that no one knows the name to......

Post by clarinetwitproblems08 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:42 pm

i made wind ensemble!!! yeah im so happy. though i have corcert band still. :(

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:49 pm

congratulations! :D why do you have to be in both emsembles?
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

copycat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by copycat » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:05 pm

i made wind ensemble, and then i dropped it for jazz band. :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:00 pm

i made wind ensemble at my school my freshmen without auditions, but then i had to audition at the end of that year (which was last year) to get in and i made it. its not true if when ur in, ur in. this year 2 freshmens kicked off 2 seniors out of wind ensemble.

echs-sackbut
Rookie
Rookie

Post by echs-sackbut » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:36 pm

lol...what cosmicirony said...theres basically no trying out...you just go...lol...and if anything our teacher wants people to stay rather then make them leave....and we're always trying to get more people...lol
never Bb, never B#, always Bnatural (with a little natural sign)

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:59 pm

Our band has tryouts for our wind ensemble (Though, there isn't a fixed number of spots or even chair placement, except for first chairs). We have two other wind groups, the concert band, which is the band freshmen and "new" people go into, and the symphonic band, which is basically the marching band in concert season (in other words, wind ensemble and concert band combined). We also have a string orchestra (no tryouts) and a symphony (tryouts only for winds. Strings get in regardless because we have an abysmal number of strings)
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

drummer_chica156
New Recruit
New Recruit

auditions

Post by drummer_chica156 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:06 pm

everyone auditions and is then sperated into concert or symphonic band(symphonic being the more skilled players) Than, anyone in symphonic band is able to audition for wind ensemble(the cream of the crop)

percussion doesn't audition though, our audition is pretty much the whole fall season. Our instructor seperates us according to skill(on all percussion instruments, timpani, mallets, snare etc.) and disicipline/responsibility

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:07 am

Ithink that our auditions for both Loara bands are tough and were probab;y the school with the toughest audition.
For our 2nd band we have to do major scales minor scales, articulation, Cromatics, Long tones and lip slurs
and for our top band we have to do all this plus an etude for each instrument.
not only that u dont stay in the following year if you mess up your audition your out of our top band.
Last edited by lowbrass89 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.