favorite movie soundtracks

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

cheerios
New Recruit
New Recruit

favorite movie soundtracks

Post by cheerios » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:58 pm

i was wondering what was your favorite movie sound track. i like anything from Jon Williams (he did the good stuff like star wars and ET) he is my favorite composer of all time lol. i also like some of danny elfman's work. also the gladiator soundtrack was greeeaaat! i listened to it a million times. but those are just my opinions what about you guys?

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

So Many Choices!

Post by PGOK » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:11 pm

The Wind and the Lion-Goldsmith
The Bride of Frankenstein-Waxman
Silverado-Broughton
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir-Herrmann
Journey to the Center of the Earth-Herrmann
The Day the Earth Stood Still-Herrmann
Batman-Elfman
Adventures of Robin Hood-Korngold
The Sea Hawk-Korngold
Captain from Castille-A. Newman
Mark of Zorro-A. Newman
Gunga Din-A. Newman
El Cid-Rozsa
Ben Hur-Rozsa
E.T.-Williams
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom-Williams
A.I.-Williams
Atlantis-the Lost Empire-Howard
The Last Star Fighter-Safan

I could easily add more Hermann, Williams and Newman. :) And I know I've forgotten some great scores that I love. But my brain can only hold so much information, and I fear I have once again made a list that is too long. :oops:

If this string REALLY gets going, I may contribute some more, with some details.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Sam_Kenobi
New Recruit
New Recruit
Location: Chino Hills, California (Ruben S. Ayala High School)

Post by Sam_Kenobi » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:44 pm

This is the complete list of John Williams movie scores

http://www.johnwilliams.org/composition ... hrono.html

John Williams is THE BEST!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:12 am

I've fallen in love with the Gladiator Soundtrack, done by Hans Zimmer.

I also like the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack, but I cannot remmeber the composer's name.

But as for John Williams...I have begun to like his soundtracks less and less. I think he does great music for Star Wars and Harry Potter, but I begin to hear similar themes in everything he does. I know thats his style, but it does get boring.
Take the Patriot for example. After listening to some parts from the music in that film, I begun to wonder if I was listening to The Patriot or Star Wars!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Sam_Kenobi
New Recruit
New Recruit
Location: Chino Hills, California (Ruben S. Ayala High School)

Post by Sam_Kenobi » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:35 am

I know what yiou mean, but I think it's more in the individual soundtracks. For example, in Harry Potter, he uses the same theme in every song. Same thing with Catch Me If You Can. But I still like him. Maybe I'm biassed (my login name, hint hint :wink: )

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:56 am

Sam_Kenobi wrote:I know what yiou mean, but I think it's more in the individual soundtracks. For example, in Harry Potter, he uses the same theme in every song. Same thing with Catch Me If You Can.
Just to clear something up real quick... I'm not talking similarities within a movie...I'm talking about simliarities between two different movies that Williams has done music for.

I think its quite obvious in the music itself during the movie. When I was saying the simliarities in his music, I was referring to soundtracks, but there are also alot of points during some of th emovies he did for that left me wondering which movie I was really watching.

I actually notice this alot during any action scene in which John Williams has composed the music. Next time you watch a movie which John Williams has been involved with (like Minority Report or the Patriot), listen to the music during actions scenes. Make a comparison, and you'll really see how similar the styles of music.

Granted thats his own style and many composers for movie soundtracks do the same thing...such a great composer as himself might be able to get a little variety in his music...or variety to the degree where I am not questioning what movie I am really watching.

As for Catch Me If You Can...after watching it for the firs titme, I had no idea that John Williams did the music. Normally I can tell if he's done the music for a film, but the whole style of movie called for a more jazzy score...and he did a great job there.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:15 pm

As a big fan of the movies, I like the soundtrack from The Lord of the Rings. The third movie is the best and has the best music from what I heard in the theater, but I only have music from The Fellowship. It is some really technical stuff...

Star Wars music is good, but like formermarcher said, it has a lot of re-occuring themes just within itself, not even including Harry Potter.

So, yeah....that's my take on the little amount of soundtracks I have heard....
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

Khan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Khan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:25 am

John Williams is hardly alone when it comes to repetetiveness: Danny Elfman, James Horner, Hans Zimmer, and Jerry Goldsmith are just a few others that quickly come to mind who frequently repeat musical themes, and I'm sure this list could be extended for days. It certainly doesn't make them bad composers as their music is obviously loved by millions, and one can hardly blame them for using score formulas which are proven winners ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! In fact, the similarity of their scores is much of what makes these guys so successful, just like it is for directors, producers, and actors for that matter. If they were all over the place with their work, you wouldn't be remembering their names so easily.

Khan
It's better to look good than to feel good.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:03 am

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon by Tan Dun
anything by Danny Elfman!!!
John Williams
thats all I can think of now..
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:32 am

Erich Korngold (whom Stephen Melillo is influenced by) - Sea Hawk
Bernard Herrmann -
Michael Kamen (r.i.p.) - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Jerry Goldsmith - The Wind & the Lion
Leonard Bernstein - West Side Story
Howard Shore - LOTR
Henry Mancini -
George Gershwin - An American in Paris

I'll try to think of more.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:07 am

Khan wrote:Jif it ain't broke, don't fix it! In fact, the similarity of their scores is much of what makes these guys so successful, just like it is for directors, producers, and actors for that matter. If they were all over the place with their work, you wouldn't be remembering their names so easily.

Khan
It must also be remembered that these composers have to create over an hour of music in just a couple of weeks. In addition, it HAS to fit a certain mood and it HAS to be of a certain length and it HAS to meet with the approval of the director, and it HAS to appeal to the audience. :shock: This is why Jaws sound a little like "Rite of Spring" and parts of Star Wars sounds like "The Planets". Ever try to write an original melody, that sounds good. It is also why John Williams is the best known composer in the history of motion pictures.

Even composers who have no time constraints, gravitate to certain chords, progressions, orchestrations, or ways of putting together a melody. Rimsky-Korsakov, Debussy, Hanson and Ravel are just a few of the composers who you can recognize on hearing.

The purpose of movie music is to support the movie, nothing else. If it can be listened to on its own terms, that's a bonus.

All Hail Bernard Herrmann!! :bow:
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:46 pm

One thing that wasn't mentioned was the braveheart soundtrack. My favorite song, personally, is "for the love of a princess"
No regrets

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ace » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:29 pm

Alice in Wonderland's Mad Tea Party
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

saxysenior
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saxysenior » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:38 pm

You guys should check out the soundtracks to "Man from Snowy River" and it's sequel "Return to Snowy River". They are two very good australian movies and the composer, Bruce Rowland, combines an orchestra with drumset and accoustic guitar. It's awsome!!!

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:51 pm

i like newsies
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05