Difficult Concert Music

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:40 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
Jakob der ludner wrote:it's quite doable with practice.
Most pieces are. ;)
welll, what I meant was while it was technically demanding, it didn't really require much deliberation on rhythms, and stuff like that. It was fast, but that was about it.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

JohnnyffX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JohnnyffX » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:01 pm

woah i see some good pieces being played out there..they are awesome... we tried playing hoedown...very challenging....i was able to learn most of it until where my notes go above the really high B flat...tragic...
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong...

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:59 am

not really difficult but long (cause I have lots of measures and tacets) is Pictures at an Exhibition, The community band I"m currently in is doin John Boyd's arrangement for band... it's a pretty good arrangement... just really long hehe...

most difficult peice to date for me would have to be And Can it Be by David Gillingham and theres one Husa peice I can't think of the title now....
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 am

To Tame the Perilous Skies by Holsinger is pretty difficult. We might play it for festival this year and it's quite a challenging piece.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:21 pm

eeeeeee we're playing to tame the perilous skies!!! i love that song!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:39 pm

PantherBandFreak wrote:eeeeeee we're playing to tame the perilous skies!!! i love that song!

good peice.. i sight read that at some point in life haha.. yes difficult it is..
Wendy

caliangel88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Not hard but fun to play

Post by caliangel88 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:46 pm

Last year we played American Elegy and I loved it. The trumpet solo sounds great. It really hits you. While touring Europe we played Inchon. One of our performances had veterans from that war. Everyone in the theatre cried. It was a great experience. I recommend you play them.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Not hard but fun to play

Post by malletphreak » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:47 pm

caliangel88 wrote:Last year we played American Elegy and I loved it. The trumpet solo sounds great. It really hits you. While touring Europe we played Inchon. One of our performances had veterans from that war. Everyone in the theatre cried. It was a great experience. I recommend you play them.
did you guys do hte trumpet solo off stage? thats when it sounds really awesome
Wendy

caliangel88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by caliangel88 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:48 pm

Yes we did play it offstage where no one could see her. It sounded great each time we played it and we played it at every performance.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:53 pm

caliangel88 wrote:Yes we did play it offstage where no one could see her. It sounded great each time we played it and we played it at every performance.
thats awesome.. I love that part of the peice... I have a recording of my old college wind symphony doin it 'cept you can't really hear the trumpet solo on it :( I remember the performance tho... we made people cry.. . heh...

very moving peice... another one i like is Irish tune from County Derry... mmm...
Wendy

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Not hard but fun to play

Post by guardthepiccolo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:00 pm

caliangel88 wrote:Last year we played American Elegy and I loved it. The trumpet solo sounds great. It really hits you. While touring Europe we played Inchon. One of our performances had veterans from that war. Everyone in the theatre cried. It was a great experience. I recommend you play them.
either us or our symphonic band will be playing inchon this year!! it's a cool piece
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

caliangel88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Fun to play

Post by caliangel88 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:57 pm

This year our wind symphony is going to be playing Africa:Ceremony, Song And Ritual by Robert W. Smith. Our director loves to play his pieces. We haven't read through the whole song yet, but it is a lot of fun and we heard the recording which sounds really cool. I hope we do well on it.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Fun to play

Post by malletphreak » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:36 pm

caliangel88 wrote:This year our wind symphony is going to be playing Africa:Ceremony, Song And Ritual by Robert W. Smith. Our director loves to play his pieces. We haven't read through the whole song yet, but it is a lot of fun and we heard the recording which sounds really cool. I hope we do well on it.

AWESOME AWEOSME PEICE!!! i hope you have a strong percussion section !!!!
Wendy

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:24 am

The craziest set I ever heard a high school attempt was back in 1977 when I was in Long Beach State's Symphonic II Band. We shared a concert with Castle Park High School and they played to insanely difficult pieces in their half of the concert (not a festival mind you, but just a concert). They played Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" AND Karel Husa's "Music for Prague 1968". I have never had a chance to performed either piece but I did sight read them both when I was in college. They are both EXTREMELY difficult!

The hardest piece I ever performed when I was in the Cal Poly SLO Symphonic Band was Aron Copland's "Lincoln Portrait" and while I was at Long Beach State it was Hector Belioz's Overture to the Opera "Benvenuto Cellini".
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:20 am

Bandmaster wrote:The craziest set I ever heard a high school attempt was back in 1977 when I was in Long Beach State's Symphonic II Band. We shared a concert with Castle Park High School and they played to insanely difficult pieces in their half of the concert (not a festival mind you, but just a concert). They played Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" AND Karel Husa's "Music for Prague 1968". I have never had a chance to performed either piece but I did sight read them both when I was in college. They are both EXTREMELY difficult!

The hardest piece I ever performed when I was in the Cal Poly SLO Symphonic Band was Aron Copland's "Lincoln Portrait" and while I was at Long Beach State it was Hector Belioz's Overture to the Opera "Benvenuto Cellini".

Memories, memories...

As I recall CPHS concluded with Barnum and Bailey's Favorite. Back in those days they always did crazy difficult music. One year I remember them playing all of "Carmina Burana", and another year the complete "Symphonic Metamorphasis" by Hindemith.

At Long Beach Gordon Norman was fond of transcriptions by Mark Hindsely. My first year we played "Les Preludes" and refering back to that concert at CPHS, I think we played "Toccata and Fugue in d minor". I have to agree "Benvenuto Cellini" was probably the most difficult piece we played. My fondest memoris are of playing "Feste Romane".

Those were the days. :)
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx