Difficult Concert Music

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:01 pm

PGOK wrote:At Long Beach Gordon Norman was fond of transcriptions by Mark Hindsely. My first year we played "Les Preludes" and refering back to that concert at CPHS, I think we played "Toccata and Fugue in d minor". I have to agree "Benvenuto Cellini" was probably the most difficult piece we played. My fondest memoris are of playing "Feste Romane".

Those were the days. :)
The year I was in Gordy's band he was passing out a lot pieces by Bill Hill from Cal State L.A. If I remember right "Toccata anf Fugue in D Minor" was one of Hill's arrangements as was "Benvenuto Cellini". I just remember in "Toccata" how much fun the tuba section had playing all those pedal notes, 5 and 6 ledger lines below the staff. It's cool making the band sound like an organ. I love pedal notes!

The most fun I had listening to a performance was a couple years earlier when Symphonic I at Long Beach State played Bill Hill's "Dreams of a Pyschopath". What a wild ride that was! Director Larry Curtis had Marvin Branson play the jazz woodwind solo on oboe instead of alto sax, that was different.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

GL Falker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GL Falker » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:44 pm

Occident et Orient (Saint-Saens)
Toccata & Fugue in d Minor (Bach)
Jug Blues & Fat Pickin' (Freund)
Bacchanale op. 2 (Rudin)
Gumsuckers March (Grainger)
Marriage of Figaro (Mozart)
Symphony #5 (Tchaikovsky)
Wasps Overture (Williams)
Serenade for Strings (Suk)

All performed by Rancho Bernardo's Wind Ensemble and Symphony Orchestra last season. Not your typical high school pieces.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

OOps

Post by JCYS » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:03 pm

Dave:
I know PGOK will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bill Hill had anything to do with any of those pieces... :hum:

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: OOps

Post by PGOK » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:37 pm

jcys wrote:Dave:
I know PGOK will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bill Hill had anything to do with any of those pieces... :hum:
You are correct sir!

The Bach was a Hindsley arrangement and the Berlioz was not Hindsley or Hill, but other than that I do not remember. If William Hill did any transcriptions, it was a small number, and nothing of that complexity. We did get a lot of Hill's original pieces in manuscript. Sioux Variants, Sonitus Revelationis, Danses Sacred and Profane, Norman Rockwell Suite were all played by one band or another at various times.

I also seem to remember a piece called "Cosmos" that the University Symphonic Band read. I have vague memories of it being "too difficult". Do either of you (Jeff/Dave) have any memory of it? :?:
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:40 pm

Are you sure? My memory is certainly not perfect, I just remember seeing Bill Hill's name on a lot of the music that Gordy handed out that semester. I remember composer's names better than I remember arranger's names. That, and it was only 27 years ago... :shock: So I will defer to your memories on this one. :wink:
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

armysax
New Recruit
New Recruit

Overlooked perhaps

Post by armysax » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:20 pm

Without a doubt the most difficult concert piece I ever played was Theme and Variations by Arnold Shoenberg. For all you Euph enthusiasts out there the solo in the fifth variation is probably the most difficult in wind band literature. The rest of the piece is not only technically difficult, but ensemble wise there are some very challenging sections. Also yet to be mentioned is Bum's Rush by Donald Grantham. Killer alto sax solo!
In time you will learn to call me master.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

William Hill

Post by JCYS » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:34 pm

I don't recall "Cosmos"...was that when a certain silver haired conductor was on another of his "wierder the better" kicks?

When we were recording the Rarest of the Rare back in 78 we found a Hill march on the SCSBOA list called, "Men of Custer." Its a little modern, a little wierd, but its kind of cool. And he was nice enough to come out and conduct it for us (and a couple others) on the record.

Up here in Nor Cal "Bill Hill" is the former conductor of Sierra College in Rocklin and the director of the Sierra Nevada Winds and Donner Mine Music Camp, heck of a director and nice guy, and...William Hill is the composer from Cal State LA. Very confusing.

Speaking of PGOK waxing nostalgic (and I hear that is painful..) I really liked Feste Romane, though I wish some of the parts were not cut out it.

I LOVE Les Preludes, and Hindsley writes (arranges?) very nice and challenging Euph parts in his transcriptions...not in the current vein of many composers who consider Euph an added 2nd trombone part, or a french horn double, or a tuba double an octave up..YUCH..

jcys

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: William Hill

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:04 pm

jcys wrote:Up here in Nor Cal "Bill Hill" is the former conductor of Sierra College in Rocklin and the director of the Sierra Nevada Winds and Donner Mine Music Camp, heck of a director and nice guy, and...William Hill is the composer from Cal State LA. Very confusing.
Opps, sorry about that... All I know is that when William Hill was the guest conductor a couple of times for the Top Talented Students Honor Band, that Tom Mazur runs every January at Chaffey High School in Ontario (Calif.), everyone called him Bill.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:09 pm

Bandmaster wrote:
Are you sure? My memory is certainly not perfect, I just remember seeing Bill Hill's name on a lot of the music that Gordy handed out that semester. I remember composer's names better than I remember arranger's names. That, and it was only 27 years ago... :shock: So I will defer to your memories on this one. :wink:
I'd bet Jeff's life on it. :twisted:
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:31 am

yeah American Elegy is a really cool song its also sad we just played it for honor band. man you have to love that trupet solo the guy that played it did a really good job with it

cosmicirony7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cosmicirony7 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:09 am

lowbrass89 wrote:yeah American Elegy is a really cool song its also sad we just played it for honor band. man you have to love that trupet solo the guy that played it did a really good job with it
I agree... I've played a few songs by Frank Ticheli. I think I love him.
"Suck Less"

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:17 pm

cosmicirony7 wrote:
lowbrass89 wrote:yeah American Elegy is a really cool song its also sad we just played it for honor band. man you have to love that trupet solo the guy that played it did a really good job with it
yeah, his work is really varied and that makes for a great composer... We're playing Blue Shades right now, and that song is sooo different from Fortress, which we played in 7th grade! Blue Shades is cool... :D 8-)
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:53 am

cosmicirony7 wrote:
yeah the only 2 songs i ever played by him was Shennedoa and American Elegy both really sad and both really fun to play. My favorite part of Shennendoa was the flute trio just like the 4 part cannon in in American Elegy

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:24 am

I've played some Ticheli pieces also...Amazing Grace, Cajun Folk Songs, Shenandoah, An American Elegy, Vesuvius, Blue Shades, and Postcard. The only ones that fall under the category of "difficult concert music" for me are Blue Shades, Postcard, and maybe Vesuvius. I liked the other pieces I played, but they weren't really as much as a challenge for me, personally.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:35 pm

Here's a real band buster: Symphony #4 by David Maslanka. It's a fantastic piece, but it's one movement and over 26 minutes of non-stop music.