Hearing Music That You've Played In Band

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Hearing Music That You've Played In Band

Post by altohack » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:55 pm

This might seem really odd, but I was wondering what you feel when you hear music you've played in band. The reason I bring this up is because last year, we played a medley of songs from the movie Top Gun, and now Jessica Simpson has remade the love theme, Take My Breath Away.
I hear that on the radio and I turn up the bass just to hear the accent on the and of the third beat while counting out loud as if I was a snare drum player... and my dad looks at me weird.
Maybe it's just me... but hearing music that I've played in band is really weird for me. I've got this odd connection to it.
No regrets

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:12 pm

i know exactly how you feel.. so the same sort of things lol
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:08 am

Hasn't really hapened to me yet... Although, I do hear songs in one movie and hear that same song in another movie, but it is a totally different genre...

Oh, well....
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

VHSTrumpetGuy86
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VHSTrumpetGuy86 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:40 pm

It's rather funny. Trumpet players (at least at my school) have this habit of sorta playing the air trumpet on their fingers. I do it all the time. So like if I hear a song that I've played on the radio, I finger along and stuff. You just hear me saying, "Hey cool I played that once!". Definately gives you SOME kind of feeling.
-Valencia High School
-Class 4A SCSBOA Champions

ExhibitA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ExhibitA » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:54 pm

I drive my mom crazy with the Harry Potter music every time we watch it (yay for middle school) by counting off the rests and naming the notes.
Zai.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:52 pm

I know that's happened to me quite a few times, and though I can't tell you what songs they were, I do remember that I usually hummed along to it, or since I'm a trumpet player, following along with the trumpet part fingering it with my fingers.

More than often lately I've been finding myself playing songs again that I've already played. I played "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" with my wind ensemble and an honor band. I've also played John Williams medleys for the past 3 years, and "Jaws" and "Star Wars" have been in every single one of them.

Also, I've gotten to play songs for the first time that I've heard before previously, by other bands or by my band before I was in it.
Last edited by Trumpet Man 05 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:34 am

yeah, i finger along too
No regrets

vmbronco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vmbronco » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:13 pm

Ive done that, but only with jazz. A band i am in plays very well-known pieces (sing, sing, sing/ tuxedo junction /sweet georgia brown / birdland etc.) so when i listen to a jazz station, ill hear the song and ?slide? my parts, which looks even wierder than fingering them.
"If I had a bazooka, I would blow a hole in the wall between us. If either or both of us survived, I'd ask you 'What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?'"
- Kurt Vonnegut

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Sat May 01, 2004 12:31 pm

lol slide along!
No regrets

vmbronco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vmbronco » Sun May 02, 2004 11:15 am

yea my mom looks at me like im crazy or something
"If I had a bazooka, I would blow a hole in the wall between us. If either or both of us survived, I'd ask you 'What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?'"
- Kurt Vonnegut

Traverse
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Traverse » Sun May 02, 2004 9:33 pm

I won't finger or anything, but if it's something really good, I will start to sing to it. On the bus, we were listening to another recording by a different band doing some of the music from our show, and then the whole bus just started singing along. It drove the driver crazy.
Be glad you don't have to stick a marimba on a harness and march it.

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Wed May 19, 2004 4:18 pm

Hahaha, after playing a certain piece there is definitely a huge connection. Like this year, our marching band opener was Shostakovich's Festive Overture, and then for the PSYO Spring Concert, we played it was well, and I love it SO much! Plus, sometimes classical gets hard to listen to, so having insight to it definitely makes it more interesting. My favorite example of that has to be Respighi's Pines of Rome.
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:42 pm

a couple times last year i woke up to pieces from our field show (dance of the buffoons and rhapsody on a theme by paganini)...my radio is usually set to a classical station...

i kinda thought i was going crazy.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:27 pm

PercussionAndAllThatJazz wrote:Hahaha, after playing a certain piece there is definitely a huge connection. Like this year, our marching band opener was Shostakovich's Festive Overture, and then for the PSYO Spring Concert, we played it was well, and I love it SO much!
Wowzers. Your marching band played shostakovich for field show?
especially festive overture... were u able to get everyone to play it?
No regrets

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:59 pm

I do it all of the time. There are some songs that I have CDs to that I listen to and I listen for that Euphonium line I played...only to realise that there are no Euphoniums in full orchestras... :cry:
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."