2004 Santa Clara County Honor Band - WOW!!!!

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

2004 Santa Clara County Honor Band - WOW!!!!

Post by Wildabeast » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:41 pm

First of all, let me apologize for not getting the word of this concert out earlier (I was, um, busy). I'm sure if I had gotten the word out, more of you would have experienced a fabulous concert. Congratulations to Dr. Eric Hammer (Univ. of the Pacific) for conducting a great performance.

On the bill:
1. Esprit de Corps (Jager)
2. Concerto for Trumpet (Arutunian)
Joseph Kim, Soloist - Saratoga HS
3. Don't You See? (Grantham)
4. S'isch abe-n-e Monsch uf Arde (arr. Ruedi) - Swiss love song, I think.
5. Poema Alpestre (Cesarini)
6. His Honor (Fillmore) - encore

You can order a CD of the performance through Johnson Digital Audio (
http://www.johnsondigital.com). $15.00

MusicMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MusicMan » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:32 pm

Wasn' Dr. Hammer awesome? I had him for our Solano County Honor Band, and he was the best. We played His Honor at our honor band as well, except we joined that song and Caccia and Chorale, fit really nice. I really like the emotion and feeling that Dr. Hammer brought to the band. He also visited the band at Norcal honor band, just popped in and said hey. The mans a genius! Anyways, how did the trumpet player do with the Trumpet Concerto? I am going to hear that song played by Sergei Nakariakov on February 8th in Marin, you should really come, I'm gunna make a post about it. Glad to hear that you had as much fun with Dr. Hammer as we did!
practice ur horn

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:04 pm

MusicMan wrote:Wasn' Dr. Hammer awesome? I had him for our Solano County Honor Band, and he was the best. We played His Honor at our honor band as well, except we joined that song and Caccia and Chorale, fit really nice. I really like the emotion and feeling that Dr. Hammer brought to the band. He also visited the band at Norcal honor band, just popped in and said hey. The mans a genius! Anyways, how did the trumpet player do with the Trumpet Concerto? I am going to hear that song played by Sergei Nakariakov on February 8th in Marin, you should really come, I'm gunna make a post about it. Glad to hear that you had as much fun with Dr. Hammer as we did!
Dr. Hammer is indeed a great person to learn from and be around. This was actually the first time I've met him and seen him work (I've only known about the name).

The Trumpet Concert? Order the CD and listen. Listening is better than taking one's word for it.

BTW, the Poeme Alpestre was put in just before the weekend of the concert.

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:09 pm

Dr. Hammer is one of the great "young" conductors of band on the west coast.
I saw his bands at Linhurst H.S. and they were all great. That was only the beginning.