The Best Music Ever!

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

MusicMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Best Music Ever!

Post by MusicMan » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:09 pm

So my county honor band is currently playing Caccia and Chorale by Clifton Williams, it is probably my favorite piece, ever, period. It is so great, it is sort of Frank Tichelli style, but mroe awesome. It has the coolest stuff in it ever, and the composer was terminally ill with cancer when he wrote it, and that's what it is all about. Oh my goodness, everyone should play this with their band! No joke, go to your band director and suggest it, it's the most emotional piece I have ever played, it's wonderful. Anyone else played this or had any thoughts on it?
practice ur horn

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:47 am

Glad you enjoyed it! It was of course Williams' last piece before passing away, over 25 years ago.

A good follow up piece is Kaddish, written by Willliams' close friend and student, W. Francis Mcbeth. It uses the heartbeat motif from Caccia and Chorale in very dramatic fashion

Which county was it, and who was the conductor?
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

MusicMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MusicMan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:47 pm

It was the Solano County Honor Band, in Norcal, and the director was Dr. Hammer. He conducted at state last year, and he is an incredible director. Probably the best I have ever had.
practice ur horn

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:26 am

Do you know where i can get a recording of this piece? mp3/cd?
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:09 am

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:Do you know where i can get a recording of this piece? mp3/cd?
"Caccia and Chorale" is recorded as part of "Teaching Music Through Performance". The Vol. 1, Grade 4 CD set.

"Kaddish" is on "Teaching Music Through Performance". the Vol. 2, Grade 4 CD set

All are available from

www.peppermusic.com
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx