Odd Rhythyms, Maybe a percussionist could help?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

MusicMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Odd Rhythyms, Maybe a percussionist could help?

Post by MusicMan » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:07 pm

Hey I need some help with playing weird rhythyms, suchs as fifthlets and seventhlets. Can anyone help me on how to do this? I don't understand it well enough to sight read it and I would like to. All help is welcome. Anyone know of any method books that give help with funny things like this? Also, anyone have any sight reading tips so I can get better. Im currently pretty decent, but I want to be able to flawlessly read a piece of music.
practice ur horn

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:27 am

They are actually pretty simple. In the case of triplet eighths in 4/4 time, for example, you are being told to play three notes in the space you would normally play 2. Fifthlet (?) eighth notes would mean play 5 notes in place of 2 eighth notes. In 6/8 time, you can have duplets, two in the space of three.

The most important thing to remember, is to space ALL of the notes evenly. Look at the beams for clues.

I have typed this post five times, and I still VERY unhappy with my explanation. It would be much easier if I had you, an instrument and some music paper with me. I am hoping someone, with better writing skill, will jump in and clarify some more. :?

Some more examples, all in 4/4 (or 3/4, 2/4,etc.)

triplet half notes-play three half notes spaced over 4 beats

triplet 16th notes play three notes spaced over 1/2 beat

a 17 over 17 eighth notes play all 17 notes on one beat.

Hope I helped a little.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx