any jazz bands that dont allow certain instrements????

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

they_call_me_tuba_sam

any jazz bands that dont allow certain instrements????

Post by they_call_me_tuba_sam » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:31 am

I go to loara and we have been trying to start a jazz band for a while. Our band director keeps telling us that we cant have and tubas, french horn, flutes (which kinda makes sence), and clarinets!!! does this happen at other schools as well??????? i dont think that its fair. He says there isnt any music written for clarinets, i told him to go tell Benny Goodman that.
They call me tuba sam, but name isnt tuba sam, but they still call me tuba sam, ...often.

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:41 pm

i dont see why it makes sence that there are no flutes.. ive heard many many flute jazz players.. but its the same at our school, we dont have any flutes or clarinets... i think the reason is our director cant find music that is easy enough for us to play that has clairnet/flute parts writen.. so i dont know.. give your director a break..
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:57 pm

Flutes and clarinets? That's what saxes are for. Ever heard of doubling? Real sax players can double on flute and clarinet 8-)

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:57 pm

Our Jazz band dosnt allow french horn, flute, clarinet, tuba, and baritones (all baritones gotta learn trombone).
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

piccoboeMP

jazzzzzz

Post by piccoboeMP » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:24 pm

At Moorpark we have people play the normal jazz instruments and then double if the band director needs the parts...I play bari sax in jazz band but i double on flute...

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

clarinets in jazz band

Post by altohack » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:35 pm

The only reason clarinets aren't allowed in jazz band is benny goodman.
Benny Goodman blew ALL the clarinets away... and no one, I mean, NO ONE has been able to compare to him. He's the only real famous jazz clarinetist, and since him people have stopped playing clarinet in jazz band. But by George is Benny Goodman awesome.

All of those who don't know what I'm talking about, download sing sing sing.
No regrets

saxydm05

Post by saxydm05 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:58 pm

for the most part most jazz charts dont have flute/clarinet parts because its not a normal jazz instrument. depending on the composer/arranger's style a chart might call for some weird instruments. by the way ive heard of using a tuba to play a 4th trombone part

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:28 am

LovableSheep wrote:Flutes and clarinets? That's what saxes are for. Ever heard of doubling? Real sax players can double on flute and clarinet 8-)
I agree that doubling is common, but I dunno about the "real sax players" thing. I know some pretty good sax players who don't double...Anyways, our school doesn't allow flutes, clarinets, french horns, tubas, bassoons, oboes, etc. into jazz unless they primarily use a "jazz" instrument for jazz. but most of them play other instruments, too...hehe.
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:27 pm

edbandchick wrote:
LovableSheep wrote:Flutes and clarinets? That's what saxes are for. Ever heard of doubling? Real sax players can double on flute and clarinet 8-)
I agree that doubling is common, but I dunno about the "real sax players" thing. I know some pretty good sax players who don't double...Anyways, our school doesn't allow flutes, clarinets, french horns, tubas, bassoons, oboes, etc. into jazz unless they primarily use a "jazz" instrument for jazz. but most of them play other instruments, too...hehe.
I'm just kidding around about the "real sax players" thing. I'm actually a clarinet player and I learned sax so I could be in jazz band.

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:56 pm

TMRsaxyDM wrote:i dont see why it makes sence that there are no flutes.. ive heard many many flute jazz players.. but its the same at our school, we dont have any flutes or clarinets... i think the reason is our director cant find music that is easy enough for us to play that has clairnet/flute parts writen.. so i dont know.. give your director a break..
i thought cindy is playing clarinet, or did brian switch her?

Bandnerd89

jazz

Post by Bandnerd89 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:55 pm

but one thing i dont get is way some jazz bands want clarinets and others dont. i mean cuz right now im in a jazz band sure i am the only one but i am still here and i play clarinet. and when there isnt a chart for clarinet in most songs there arent then i play the tenor sax part. but the school jazz bands dont want clarinets. does anyone know why that is?
Alyssa Miyake
Vista Murrieta High School
Golden Alliance

Hoshwa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hoshwa » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:50 pm

euphman wrote:most jazz bands in HS that I've seen have trumpets, trombones, saxes, drum set, bass, guitar.
and piano?

all of those plus piano is what we have.

oh, and vibes.

oh, and we have two drummers so one will pay congas or something, depending on the song.