French horn/brass help

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

French horn/brass help

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:29 pm

i've been playing the french horn for a little over a year now. i'm in the middle ensemble of my school and unfortunatly the only french horn player in that band. i can hit a high note or a low note if i wanted to no problem but when it comes to partial control that's where i struggle. it hurts me bad especially in sight reading where i'm more worried if i'm on the right pitch or not instead on other things like rithyms, notes, dynamics and stuff like that. what can i do to help me improve on partial control. u can post about other brass tips here i'd like to hear em

jhchichiri

Post by jhchichiri » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:21 pm

I was a french horn player in HS. I think the thing that helped me A LOT where playing warm up routines. Especially arpeggios and thirds. That helped me know where notes where in relation to each other. Having a piano helps too. I think that's your question when you say partial control.. trying to find your notes. It was very hard for me in the beginning. The best thing is if you could get a warm up book from your director on the french horns. Nothing beats scales and warm ups for practice.

Dang that's pretty tough when you're the only horn player. I remember when I was playing in the school orchestra instead of the regular ensemble that when there was only two of us, I felt really nervous when we played. Every single note you play sticks out SO MUCH, it's like having solos. Good luck on it and hope you get to play Shenandoah by Ticheli. One of the best horn parts I've played. So beautiful. just beware the low F hahaha...

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:42 am

thanks for your help! btw i am playing ticheli's shendandoah arangement and some other songs with really nice french horn parts. i'm surprised how well i'm doing despite not having a horn all summer (mellophone doesnt count since it's basically an F trumpet) and being the only horn player in my band. i have alot of the songs i play in mp3/ogg format and i listen to them alot. i think it helps everyone since the songs are always going through in my head.

Nickybob
New Recruit
New Recruit

French Horn Stuff

Post by Nickybob » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:49 am

Ah!!! A topic I can reply to without causing TOO much controversy!

Well, my name is Nick, and I am a junior majoring in music in college... Let me tell you that all those issues (rhythms, notes, dynamics and stuff) are still at the forefront of my thoughts as I play here at CSU, Fresno. Let me see if I can give you some advice.

First things first... Are you doing long tones? That is the meat and potatoes of any instrumental playing. Long tones will help you to establish a nice tone, which is ESSENTIAL before anything else. Always strive for tone quality. If you don't sound good on the long tones, then the faster stuff is most definately not going to sound good.

In terms of partial control, the first thing is to be able to hear the note you're going to be playing in you head. If you know what you're going to play, you are halfway there! The other half of course, is based upon a solid technique. For this, especially partial accuracy, I would suggest lip slurs.

Basically, lip slurs are playing all of the notes you can in some sort of pattern without changing valves. (Forgive me if this is already something you are aware of...) These will help with partial accuracy.

OK, that's the deal for now. If you have any more questions, let me know!

Nick Chitwood
Nicholas Chitwood
Director of Bands, Ramona Dynasty

http://www.ramonadynasty.org

Traverse
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Traverse » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:14 pm

I've been having the same problems in my freshman band. After reading these posts, I've gotten alot better. So I guess I also owe you guys a thanks
Be glad you don't have to stick a marimba on a harness and march it.

mandapanda576

Post by mandapanda576 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:07 pm

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:thanks for your help! btw i am playing ticheli's shendandoah arangement and some other songs with really nice french horn parts. i'm surprised how well i'm doing despite not having a horn all summer (mellophone doesnt count since it's basically an F trumpet) and being the only horn player in my band. i have alot of the songs i play in mp3/ogg format and i listen to them alot. i think it helps everyone since the songs are always going through in my head.
Hey! I play French horn. A couple years back, in eight grade, my band played Shenandoah as well. That song has such a beautiful horn part. Keep trying and just try to relax about being the only horn. If you are relaxed and confident, you'll do just fine.