Special Percussion performances in Bay Area April 28 - May 8

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Special Percussion performances in Bay Area April 28 - May 8

Post by Bandmaster » Sun May 03, 2009 1:02 pm

I got this note from a good friend, Jason Goodman. Jason taught percussion at many schools around SoCal from 1990 to 2005. He was the drum instructor for my Sound Machine of the Inland Empire Youth Band from 1990 through 1994 and is a fabulous musician and percussionist. If any of you are in the San Francisco Bay area between April 28th and May 8th try to make to time see one on these performances.
Dear Family & Friends,

I’d like to tell you about a series of performances starting late April that I think might interest you, especially if you’ve got family near San Francisco. I’m leaving this Friday for 3 weeks of work (fun) as a soloist with the prestigious San Francisco Ballet. At the invitation of the director of the ballet orchestra, I’ve been asked to perform the Philip Glass Concerto Fantasy for timpani and orchestra; a piece that requires 14 timpani divided among 2 players. The principal timpanist of the San Francisco Opera will be playing the second timpani part. The piece is part of a new critically acclaimed ballet choreographed by Jorma Elo titled “Double Evil”. I first met the SF Ballet’s orchestra director when I performed this physically demanding piece for the ballet’s Southern California premier at the Orange County Performing Arts Center as part of the SF Ballet’s recent American tour. As one reviewer put it, “innovative, fresh and blood-pumping, "Double Evil" is a thrill of its own”

If you have family or friends that would be interested in attending, or if you’ll be in San Francisco, please let me know. I will have available a limited number of comp tickets. The link for more info on the program is here, www.sfballet.org Look for program 8. Pictures of the performance venue are available at this link. www.sfballet.org/performancestickets/pl ... ahouse.asp

All good wishes will be very much appreciated. (And put to good use)
Performance will be held on:
  • Tue, Apr 28, 2009, 8:00 PM
    Thu, Apr 30, 2009, 8:00 PM
    Sat, May 2, 2009, 2:00 PM
    Sat, May 2, 2009, 8:00 PM
    Sun, May 3, 2009, 2:00 PM
    Wed, May 6, 2009, 7:30 PM
    Friday, May 8, 2009, 8:00 PM
I always love "tooting a horn", or should I say "banging a drum" to help anybody that was ever a part of the Sound Machine.

Jason back in 1991

Jason working the Sound Machine line before a winter drum comp in 1992
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster