Duncanville Named TMEA 5A H0NOR BAND

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Duncanville Named TMEA 5A H0NOR BAND

Post by JLGORMAN » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:33 pm

Reprising their 2004 Victory the TMEA honored Duncanville High School BAnd with the Honor of 2008 TMEA 5A Honor Band. Like the UIL, Texas Honors its Top Concert Bands in Class 3A & 5A in even summers and 1A, 2A and 4A in odd numbered summers.

The winning Band is choosen from submitted performance Tapes. Bands are then weeded out until only the best are presented for judging at the Texas Bandmasters Convention in San Antonio.

The Win for Duncanville is a repeat of sorts since the defending champion cannot repeat. Duncanville won this award in 2004 and was not eligible in 2006. That award was won by Langham Creek.

Duncanville cemented their already outstanding reputation as one of the nations top 20 High School Bands in the Concert Area with this win. Among other Concert awards won by Duncanville have included performing at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Festival in 2000 and 2005, victories at the adjudicators music festival at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC and performing for the Japanesse Band Directors ASSn in 1998.

Final Results.

1. Duncanville TMEA Honor Band
2. Marcus, Flower Mound
3. Coppell
4. Flower Mound
5. Rowlett
6. Haltom
7. Richland Hills
8. Westlake, Austin
9. Brazoswoood, Clute
10. Plano East
11. Lopez, Brownsville
12. Dulles, Fort Bend
13. Jersey Village
14. Cinco Ranch, Katy.

Interestingly the Band that Duncanville beat,Flower Mound Marcus, is the defending 5A State Marching Championship and represented Texas at the 2007 Midwest Band and Orchestra Festival
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

Xenon
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Xenon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:48 pm

A couple of other things to note:

- Dallas/Fort-Worth (DFW) area schools comprised the entirety of the top 7. If it wasn't for the new TMEA Area Alignments, this could never have happened, as the DFW schools would have knocked eachother out earlier on.

- In 2004 Duncanville High School and Byrd Middle School were the first time that a 5A and its 3C feeder both won Honor Band in the same year; they now become not only the 2nd time for this to happen, but the first time for it to happen back-to-back.

- Duncanville is now the first band to have won Honor Band three separate times as a 5A school (Richardson Berkner won once as 4A and twice as 5A).

Also, for more details about how TMEA Honor Band works, you can see my article on it (from two years ago) at:
http://content.txbands.com/index.php?bl ... and&more=1

(If linking this isn't kosher, let me know and I will remove it)
Daniel Sanchez - txbands.com moderator and txbpress staff writer.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 pm

Xenon wrote:Also, for more details about how TMEA Honor Band works, you can see my article on it (from two years ago) at:
http://content.txbands.com/index.php?bl ... and&more=1

(If linking this isn't kosher, let me know and I will remove it)
Interesting and educational links are ALWAYS welcome here! Thank you!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster