Recording Concert Band/Jazz Band

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

alto92
Rookie
Rookie

Recording Concert Band/Jazz Band

Post by alto92 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:20 am

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this arena, but is anyone willing to share what setup they use to get a quality recording of their groups in a concert hall setting?
I have a new, quality laptop with an M-Audio Firewire 410, and a Mackie mixer. I'm interested to know who uses Protools or Nuendo or Sonar or whatever, and what mics you all have found to be appropriate.
Thanks in advance!
Kurt Gray
Mesa Verde MS
Moorpark, CA

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:21 pm

If you're new to using audio workstation software (like ProTools or Sonar), I would highly recommend checking out Adobe Audition. It's very intuitive, there's a short learning curve to using it, and it's actually a fairly powerful program. It's not as powerful as Protools, but for the price and what you'll probably need it for, I think its great.

As far as mics go, I have had a lot of success using a pair of the AKG C-414 B-XLS condenser mics. They have an incredible dynamic range but without adding any noise to the mix at the extreme lower ends of the spectrum.

They might be a little pricey, but they're also very durable... here's a link to the combined pair from AKG's website. http://www.akg.com/site/products/powers ... ge,EN.html

alto92
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alto92 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Thanks man!
What kinds of ensembles have you used these for? Any way I could check out a recording you made with these?
Kurt Gray
Mesa Verde MS
Moorpark, CA