Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:40 pm

Adding to what a said near the beginning of this thread:

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:00 am

Blue Shades by Frank Tichelli, that is if it is pulled off well. That is a really good one, that and First Suite in Eb, and Second Suite in F, by Holst. Great pieces.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:05 am

Personal wrote:Blue Shades by Frank Tichelli, that is if it is pulled off well. That is a really good one, that and First Suite in Eb, and Second Suite in F, by Holst. Great pieces.
You know I heard that the clarinet solo piece in Blue Shades is so difficult, that many high schools that play it bring in a professional clarinetest (even true for some college-level bands).

Of course, thats just one particular part, but it sort of demonstrates the level of ability needed to play the piece.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:01 pm

Yeah, Mt. SAC actually has a guy that can play it though, and it sounds awsome. It is a very difficult part to play, (not like I'd know though, being I play Euph), but it sounds like it would be strenuous to play.

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:17 pm

salvation is created
first suite in Eb
irish tune from country derry
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

JohnnyffX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JohnnyffX » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:50 pm

i dunno if these count but i love Chorale And Shaker Dance by John P. Zdechlik and i also like Armenian Dances by Alfred Reed i doubt they might count as wind pieces but they sure are nice..

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:05 am

JohnnyffX wrote:i dunno if these count but i love Chorale And Shaker Dance by John P. Zdechlik and i also like Armenian Dances by Alfred Reed i doubt they might count as wind pieces but they sure are nice..
I don't know about American Dances, but Chino's Wind Ensemble played Chorale and Shaker Dance two years ago for regionals, and got straight 1's. Not to mention that it is a good piece. I consider it to be a wind ensemble piece.

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:50 am

Armenian Dances is a wonderful wind ensemble piece. My favorite is something I played in college called Winds of Nagual by Michael Colgrass, extremerly difficult and rewarding.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:04 pm

Armenian Dances by Alfred Reed (one movement, 10 minutes or so) is a good piece, but Armenian Dances by Aram Khachaturian (two short movements of about 3.5 minutes a piece) is even better.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:56 pm

You know I heard that the clarinet solo piece in Blue Shades is so difficult, that many high schools that play it bring in a professional clarinetest (even true for some college-level bands).
Heh, Florida's Tarpon Springs HS Wind Ensemble came to San Francisco last Spring for a music festival. They pulled it off very well (including the high school clarinet soloist).

Chorale And Shaker Dance by John P. Zdechlik
Try his "Celebrations".

rfe

Post by rfe » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:24 am

right now we are playing pinapple pole by gilbert and sulli-something. it is pretty awsome.

+jk on sulli
G-E-T-N-A-K-E-D

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:58 am

I don't know if this is an official wind ensemble piece, but I am a big fan of Eric Whitacre's Ghost Train. If you have heard it, or played it, let me know, cause I really like it.

GreyFox112
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GreyFox112 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:40 pm

Sure, I played it last year. It's ok, but as a tenor, I didn't really like my part, so I guess I'm a little biased.

I wouldn't really consider it a "Wind Ensambles" piece. I'm sure you know about the music classification system, and it's only a class 'B'. I'd say that 'A' and 'AA' would be considered "Wind Ensamble" pieces.

-=(CXII)=-
Obviously, the 'J' is for Jesbo.
And the 'B', well...that's for Burnination

rockchick04
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rockchick04 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:54 pm

rfe wrote:right now we are playing pinapple pole by gilbert and sulli-something. it is pretty awsome.

+jk on sulli
NO WAY! So are we. :p But I must agree..I like that song too.

My favorite's are "Vesuvius" and "Mannin Veen."

angelgurrl151

Post by angelgurrl151 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:46 pm

Personal wrote:I don't know if this is an official wind ensemble piece, but I am a big fan of Eric Whitacre's Ghost Train. If you have heard it, or played it, let me know, cause I really like it.
OMG!!!!!!! That is the best song EVER! We played that in wind ensemble freshman year and that was sooooo much fun to play!
My other faves include October also by Eric Whitacre and Spin by Steven Schmidt. Spin is way modern and fun to play.

Oh and another awesome song is Cloudburst by Eric Whitacare. We played it at BOA Nationals last year and it sounded sooooooo awesome in Clowes Memorial Hall. It ends with everyone snapping and it actually sounded like a rainstorm!

If you can't tell by now, I worship Eric Whitacare music as does my director!