Favorite Wind Ensembles piece

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

iamnotabandnerd

Post by iamnotabandnerd » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:32 pm

However, I would have to add October(Eric Whitacre) to the list. and this is from the frst chair euphoniums POV.[/quote]

eric whitacre writes such unbelievably beautiful music...i am the first chair euphonium at hart and i have been totally blessed with getting to play his beautiful solo...we also got to play Cloudburst at BOA Nationals last year!

Also Philip Sparke rox my sox!
If i had a nickle for every time i had a cool signiture...id have not nickles :(

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:13 pm

iamnotabandnerd wrote:However, I would have to add October(Eric Whitacre) to the list. and this is from the frst chair euphoniums POV.
eric whitacre writes such unbelievably beautiful music...i am the first chair euphonium at hart and i have been totally blessed with getting to play his beautiful solo...we also got to play Cloudburst at BOA Nationals last year!

Also Philip Sparke rox my sox![/quote]

Nice, I am the Principle chair at Mt. SAC, and was Principle in All County Honor Band, and I got to lay it, but I have played other stuff, and that is why I belive that anything Whitacre rocks.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

ohstenorplayer

Post by ohstenorplayer » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:11 pm

My fav are:

Spirit of Orpheus
Fate of the Gods
Masque
Pageant

For once I actually had something hard to play, well challenging not hard. Stupid 32nd notes.
Rule Number 1: Don't Suck

"It's better to be open than to be tight when playing rolls."-Luke Young

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:03 pm

heh,i could hardly play em i hated spitrit of orpheus,but loved pageant and fate of the gods and i love swords against the sea too!!!!!
Nothing is impossible with God!

OHSwoodwindplayer

Post by OHSwoodwindplayer » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:23 pm

my favorite are Armenian Dances and Variants on a Moravian Hymn. they're also very difficult. I still can't believe RB is playing Armenian Dances for marching band.

JohnnyffX
Rookie
Rookie

finally...

Post by JohnnyffX » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:12 pm

i see people do like armenian dances.....well anyways how sad that marching season is almost over and i didnt see Rancho Bernardo do Armenian Dances on the field i hope that i might go to a tournament just to see them i would really enjoy that..
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong...

Shorty41
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Shorty41 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:32 pm

I like this one we played last year: Florentiner.. or something like that.. I play bassoon, and this piece had cool parts for it like sixtheenth notes and junk.
Rubidoux HS: Bass 2~

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:59 pm

Shorty41 wrote:I like this one we played last year: Florentiner.. or something like that.. I play bassoon, and this piece had cool parts for it like sixtheenth notes and junk.
BUY THIS CD

The USMC Band plays the Florentiner on it, and the low brass in the second strain produces some of the best accents I've ever heard. I just about wet myself the first time I heard it.

It's an outstanding CD all around, btw. The Kozhevnikov Symphony is enjoyable, the recordings of Florentiner, Children of the Regiment, and Farewell to a Slavic Woman are all top notch, and they also give a first rate performance of the Looking Upward Suite, which I think is one of Sousa's best works.

banana
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by banana » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:24 pm

It looks like most of my favorites have already been mentioned, since they are such great pieces! But I will still mention them anyway lol.
My ultimate favorite wind ensemble piece is October by Eric Whitacre. I want to play it soooo badly. I listen to a recording of it all the time, and it sends chills down my back every time!
Next... Blue Shades by Frank Ticheli and Armenian Dances by Alfred Reed. We played these in our wind ensemble last year, and I absolutely loved them!
I also love... Puszta by Jan van der Roost (spelling?). I don't know if you consider that a wind ensemble piece, but it is the most fun and entertaining piece I've ever played!
U-High!!!
'02 - Scheherazade
'03 - Fragments

janesatool

Post by janesatool » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:35 pm

George washington bridge!!!!
~*~*~Snoogins~*~*~

kristiie

Post by kristiie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:35 pm

October
American Elegy
Symphonic Dances No. 4 "Fiesta"
Elegy
Shenendoah
Vesuvius
Incantation and Dance
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
Suite of Old American Dances
Alleluia! Laudamus te
Marche Slav

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:02 pm

Out of the ones I've heard, I'd have to say Persis and El Camino Real are my favorites. I also love Russian Christmas Music with a passion. They all have so much emotion in them. Out of the ones we've played though, I'd have to say either Variations on a Korean Folk Song and Vesuvius. They're written so cleverly, and it's just so fun to play them.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Ahhh...reviving the thread.

Post by Wildabeast » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:39 pm

I'll put some down off the top of my head:

Molly on the Shore
Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral
Rocky Point Holiday
Variations on a Korean Folk Song
Morning Star
Dance of the Jesters
New Century Dawn
O Magnum Mysterium (listening to now, Northwestern University SWE with Mallory Thompson, thanks iTMS) - if you like "October", you might like this one, although not a Whitacre.
-Stop global whining.

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Symphonic Movement
1812 Overture
Shenendoah
American Elegy
Incantation and Dance
Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral
Alleluia! Laudamus te
March from Symphonic Metamorphosis
Chester
Shostakovich 5th Symphony Finale
Suite of old American Dances
Toccata
Folk Song Suite
Firebird Suite
Great Gates of Kiev

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ahhh...reviving the thread.

Post by Jakob der ludner » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:39 pm

Wildabeast wrote: O Magnum Mysterium (listening to now, Northwestern University SWE with Mallory Thompson, thanks iTMS) - if you like "October", you might like this one, although not a Whitacre.
Just wondering, who's the composer? Because this year in academic decathlon we studied an "O Magnum Mysterium" composed in the Renaissance period.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07