How different

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

meh

How different

Post by meh » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:07 pm

im wondering how different is it from switching to soprano sax from alto and tenor sax. like i know the fingering is alot different but wat about the playing. is it the same?

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Umm... fingerings are all the same; only the range playable changes. As someone who's played soprano, alto, tenor, and bari I can tell you that the lower you go the more you will have to drop your jaw. It's not very hard at all.

meh

Post by meh » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:22 pm

ya i mean i started on alto then i went to tenor and i played bari for one semester of jazz band then i went to 2nd alto for jazz. im curious about trying out soprano.

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How different

Post by LovableSheep » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:13 pm

slytherman wrote:im wondering how different is it from switching to soprano sax from alto and tenor sax. like i know the fingering is alot different but wat about the playing. is it the same?
Keep in mind that most people don't "switch" to soprano; it is usually doubled like flute or clarinet, so don't expect to be able to play it all the time in jazz band.

Like bassoonuba said, the fingerings are the same and it is quite easy (IMO) to switch between various saxes. I actually found playing bari to be a bigger jump from alto/tenor than soprano was, but I also started out on clarinet, so I'm used to a firmer embouchure which is generally needed to play soprano in tune.

I found soprano lots of fun when I got chances to play it.

meh

Post by meh » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:27 pm

ok thanks for the info guys. and ya i meant doubling with soprano