Moderator: Hostrauser

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Malcolm Arnold passes away

Post by PGOK » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:12 pm

Sir Malcolm Arnold dies in Norfolk, England
(25 September 2006)
One of the great 20th century British composers. Sir Malcolm Arnold, died last Saturday, 84 years old, in Norfolk, England. Not so long ago, on June 29 2006, he received a Honorary Doctorate from the University of Northampton.
The upcoming 85th anniversary of Sir Malcolm Arnold's was going to be celebrated by BBC Radio 3 by featuring him as composer of the week. Decca recently announced a special edition with 61 works of his concert music. Also several concerts are planned where his 85th birthday was going to be celebrated, one of them being the inaugural Arnold Festival at the Royal & Derngate Theatres on October 21 and 22.
Sir Arnold won an Oscar in 1958 for the film music of movie "The Bridge on the River Kwai", the famous story of British and American prisoners of war in Japan who are forced to build a bridge.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:39 am

Wow, I didn't even realize he was still alive.

I'll have to go home and listen to "Scottish Dances" and "Peterloo Overture" in his honor.

PeterPanIsWhoIam
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PeterPanIsWhoIam » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:31 pm

yeah that was a sad day hes one of my fav composers!!
Peter Like Duh!!

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:38 pm

I didn't know anyone here really cared about this. I heard about his death a couple of days after he died. Had I known it, I would have made an earlier posting, when I was still in California.

:(