Attn: Directors and Staff (2007 Marching Season)

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Music Education
Section Leader
Section Leader

Attn: Directors and Staff (2007 Marching Season)

Post by Music Education » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:24 am

Hello all Band Directors, Instructors, and Support Staff!

I'm writing this message, because I would like to get a head start on next years marching season. My primary reason for doing this now is because I would like to get my feet wet in the areas of drill/visual design. I've been teaching marching bands in the Fresno CA area for 7 years, and have been involved in both the music and visual aspects of the show design as an instructor. The groups I have worked with have all varied in size from small ensembles to larger ensembles. I am finishing up my B.A. Music Education degree at California State University, Fresno next spring, and I think this would be a great opportunity for me to network with a few more directors on a higher level.

I am also experienced in composition, and have composed pieces that have yet to be performed for marching band (winds only), but I will only be taking one client for original show music production this coming fall. Wind parts will be composed, and I can assist with finding someone to arrange the battery and pit parts, if you do not have that client lined up on your own. The fees that the percussion writer will charge will be based on what you and the writer come up with, and I will not be responsible for their writing or fees. If you are interested in having an original composition for your group, please respond with a story board, and general details, so we can get ideas flowing for a colorful music design.

My professional marching experience includes:
2003 - 2004 Seattle Cascades Drum and Bugle Corps (Horn line)
2006-Present Seattle Cascades Drum and Bugle Corps (Instructor)
2001-Fresno State Bulldog Marching Band

2000 - Present
Fresno Unified School District Instruction Includes:
Bullard High School Marching Band and Color Guard
Hoover High School Marching Band and Color Guard
Sunnyside High School Marching Band and Color Guard

I've put a cap on the amount of clients I will allow myself to write for. I will not design drill for more than 3 schools. It is important that the bands I write for get the attention they need, and this will allow for me to put in the time and quality needed to produce the work being asked for by the directors and staff. By having me design your show, you will also get the experience of having me come out to some of your rehearsals (dates to be determined) to possibly help teach the drill, make any necessary re-writes or corrections, or in some cases simply give feedback and observe how your ensemble is doing with the drill learning process. This will all be included in the fee that we agree on at the time of hire.

I have experience writing drill charts by hand, and using computer software (Pyware), so I am willing to accommodate your group by any of those methods.

If you are interested in having your 2007 field show visually designed, please feel free to contact me via e-mail baritone.tech@gmail.com or private message me here on the WOP forums. There, we can talk about your goals, expectations, and fees for the cost of the design.

Reminder: I am only taking one original music composition production client and 3 drill/visual design clients for the 2007 season.

Musically yours,

Matthew J. Smith