All Southern auditions

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

thatonehornguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

All Southern auditions

Post by thatonehornguy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:52 am

Any tips? I know they're in January (at least for High School), but I want to start working on everything now so I can be sufficiently prepared. So if anyone could give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated :D
What's the definition of perfect pitch?

The ability to throw a flute into a toilet without hitting the rim

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Re: All Southern auditions

Post by JazzGeek » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:51 am

thatonehornguy wrote:Any tips? I know they're in January (at least for High School), but I want to start working on everything now so I can be sufficiently prepared. So if anyone could give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated :D
Take a little time to work on sight reading---probably the single most thing that you don't really work on. For a change of pace, instead of sight reading material for your instrument, consider reading material for other instruments. For example: flute or violin music for trumpet players; cello music for trombone players, etc. Your private teacher [if you have one] or band director will probably have some recommendations for you as well. Last thing: try not to psych yourself out or over stress---pace yourself for these next couple of months and try to have a daily practice schedule with proper warm-ups and cool-downs. And always practice with a metronome [cheap ones are about $2]; developing your internal clock is invaluable and helps with sight reading.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

two bucks?!!

Post by Chapagne » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Where do you get $2 metronomes? That would be fantastic!

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Re: two bucks?!!

Post by JazzGeek » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:00 pm

Chapagne wrote:Where do you get $2 metronomes? That would be fantastic!
Don't get too excited, they're digital metronomes that are about the size of a small pocket watch and use tiny watch batteries---I got mine at Hollywood Sheet Music. It's my emergency metronome that lives in my gig bag along with my trusty Korg tuner which is less than the size of a cassette.

The old fashioned manual ones start at about $10 for a mini one and $20 on up for bigger ones.

swuster
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by swuster » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:59 pm

Every year, I have a conflict with either the audition or the performance weekend, so I can never try out....I will, of course, be sending in a tape for the all-state band.
WoP Champion!
2005 SD Alternative
MCHS Marching Sundevils
DON'T GO HERE

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:05 pm

or if you really can't afford one....there are plenty mets online, but you would have to practice next to your computer the entire time.