Drill Team Questiom

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

Ocho
Rookie
Rookie

Drill Team Questiom

Post by Ocho » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:06 pm

to be perfectly honest, i don't know what a drill team is. could someone be cool and explain it?
Mt. Carmel Marching Sundevils
2003 The Music of John Rutter
2004 The Great Abyss
2005 The Music of David Holsinger
2006 The Tempest

Mt. Carmel Winterguard
2006 Miss Janet
2007 Radio K.A.O.S.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Drill Team Questiom

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:57 pm

kentofhardrck wrote:to be perfectly honest, i don't know what a drill team is. could someone be cool and explain it?

Drill Team

Is a group of kids that do routines with pom-poms and etc. Sometimes Drill Team will be also call Color Guard!

:wink: :lol: 8-) :D
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

sweetascandi

Drill Team

Post by sweetascandi » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:01 pm

Actually, being on the John W. North Blue Star Regiment Drill Team, I have sort of a different view of atleast our own group. while traditionally, a Drill Team is as MusicCoach described, our band utilizes us in a different way. We are a dance team, and specialize in jazz, modern, and ballet technique. During field season, we perform on field with the band and Color Guard as a joint Auxiliary unit, however we specialize in movement, while they obviously have much more equipment usage. Then, in the spring, we compete as a Dance Team in the United Spirit Association. Hope this helped, as just another type of Drill Team!
BSR Drill Team Captain '03-'04 to '05-'06

Mookmoos25
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mookmoos25 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:21 pm

Our drill team years ago was a part of the band and spirit squad... they were like cheerleaders, yet more dance and no climbing on each other. They used to be called song girls as well...

Now we don't have a drill team... oh well
Miss me much?

pretty1inpink89

drill team

Post by pretty1inpink89 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:07 pm

im from allen and our drill team is different yet from the ones previosly described. we have a separate drill team and color guard. color guard uses the flags and riffle, and the drill team dances with pom-poms and streamers if anything. the main thing drill teams in texas are know for is taxas kicks. usually about half of our field routines contain a portion of high kicks, jump splits ect. its really a lot of fun.

JonnyRad7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by JonnyRad7 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:55 pm

at our school, drill team is combined with tall flags to make up the color gaurd, then second semester they split up and drill team does what they call military. it consists of sharp moves, splits, and kicks, and any other crazy move you can think of. a good place to see drill teams in action is at United Spirit Association's (USA) Dance/Drill competitions.

twirlerkat

Actually...

Post by twirlerkat » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:44 pm

When I was in jr. high & high school in the 80s-early 90s, drill team consisted of members who really weren't skilled in jazz, hip hop, or ballet, some were lucky enough to have had lessons but it wasn't required. All that was required was to be able to learn the tryout routines of marching, high kick & basic dance which back then was referred to as jazz although there were no turns or leaps involved. Drill team did precise, sharp movements using props or poms (sometimes) or high kick routines to music. There was no fluidity like real dance teams have now days. Back then a fluid movement was like doing a domino effect where one end would start a move & it would sorta zip thru the line one right after the other if you catch my meaning. Some drill teams & even twirl lines were referred to as military style where all they did was sharp marching techniques & nothing else. I didn't even know the military type existed till we saw them at some of our marching band competitions & not all drill teams performed w/the band. In fact, I've seen very few in my area that did. I'm sure it's different in all areas but it was extremely rare in my day. So hince the name 'Drill' team meaning marching or dance 'drills'.

royguardman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by royguardman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:51 pm

here is what google said

the United States, a drill team is a marching unit that performs military style maneuvers in parades, at air shows, football half-time shows, and other ceremonies. High school and college drill teams also often compete with one another in drill meets. All of the military services have drill teams. As well as executing standard drill commands, drill teams also perform exhibition drill in which they may perform intricate marching maneuvers along with spinning and throwing rifles in the air, sometimes with fixed bayonets.

twirlerkat

Welll...

Post by twirlerkat » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:27 am

That may be true, they may also be referring to the men who carry around swords/rifles that I've seen on tv. They were on Miss Universe all the time during the 80s.

ProjectLMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Check this out

Post by ProjectLMan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 am

Drill Team to me is a lot like what JonnyRad7 said. At least from my High School and surrounding schools as well. Here in Southern California, there are not that many high schools who have Drill Teams. Although, many LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District) Schools still have them, not many of them are part of the Marching Band as they were back when I was in high school. (Early 90's). There are still some teams out there who have been around for years and are amazing in competition. One high school that always comes to mind when people are referring to Drill Teams is Carson High School, from Carson, CA. They are one of the best, if not the best, in Southern California that I've seen. I haven't been to a SHARP Competition in almost 3 years, but that is where I would see them compete a lot. SHARP hosts competitions where Drill Teams are a big division of competition. I suggest you stop by a show sometime and check them out if you're very interested in finding out what a Drill Team is.

reinix
Veteran
Veteran

Post by reinix » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Just dance and military stuff put together and performed... =)

Oh gosh... i was in drill team in middle school...
If a man loses pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music in which he hears, however measured, or far away...

SDTAHeather

Post by SDTAHeather » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:55 pm

I was on The Ballard Eagles Drill Team in Seattle,WA. We were a semi military marching unit. We used hand drills. formations and marched with high knees and snap.
No music or dancing was involved.
There are not many of this style team anymore but they are awesome to see.
Ballard Eagles Drill Team
1981-1991
1990-1991 Captain
1986 & 1987-2nd Lt.