Scariest Drill Team moments of costuming/equipment:

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

Apache_1979

Scariest Drill Team moments of costuming/equipment:

Post by Apache_1979 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:37 pm

Curious what comes to light.

For me, two stand out:

Loara's "Saxon" wigs and uniformity of makeup application no matter what the ethnic background of the wearer was. It made for some amazing double takes. (Think of The Supremes meet the The Shirelles in a period epic with the threads and tresses from Sir Laurence Olivier's remake of Ricard III. It boggles the mind.)

The El Rancho High School (weren't they from Pico Rivera or thereabouts) drill team leader who neglected to shave her right armpit at Rosemead. (It was "Germanic" precision of a sort never to be repeated.)

~~~

There's got to be some stories out there. (...surely the urban legend of the dreaded about face of the Villa Park banner girls on the field must rank high on any list.)

bando714
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Scariest Drill Team moments of costuming/equipment:

Post by bando714 » Mon May 15, 2006 4:41 pm

Apache_1979 wrote: There's got to be some stories out there. (...surely the urban legend of the dreaded about face of the Villa Park banner girls on the field must rank high on any list.)
Whats the urban Legend?
since I go to Villa Park, Im kinda curious.
Villa Park Spartan Alliance
Villa Park, CA
"What if..." 05 Field
"The Short Ride" 06 Field
"Fever" 06 winterguard
www.myspace.com/bobbyv

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Scariest Drill Team moments of costuming/equipment:

Post by fieldshowqueen » Mon May 22, 2006 8:48 am

Apache_1979 wrote:Curious what comes to light.
For me, two stand out:
Loara's "Saxon" wigs and uniformity of makeup application no matter what the ethnic background of the wearer was. It made for some amazing double takes. (Think of The Supremes meet the The Shirelles in a period epic with the threads and tresses from Sir Laurence Olivier's remake of Ricard III. It boggles the mind.)
My sister was on Loara's drill team in 1976-1978. She says:
Actually, the Loara Valkyries had three wig color choices: Black, brown, and dirty-dishwater blonde (mine). The cut was short with curls and the wig was only worn on the field -- for parade, the team wore a plastic helmet while carrying a plastic shield and wooden sword. The banner carriers, however, all wore the same color wig during parade which was cut into a "bob" (none for field from what I can remember) -- black for the letters and herald; brown for the banners. As far as ethnicity, we weren't a very ethnically diverse school back in the 70's. We had about 90% white, 8% hispanic, 2% asian. The biggest "issues" were spray painting the boots silver (silver was very hard to get back then), getting the stupid helmets to not cut into our ears and cheeks or keeping the glittered top hats for field show on our heads, and worrying about the shortness of the "uniform" in the case of the banner carriers (which was a micro-mini). The drill team/auxiliary uniform did not change from year to year like today's shows.