Where are all the lettergirls?

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

Lettermom

Where are all the lettergirls?

Post by Lettermom » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:46 am

I am a former member of my junior high and high school marching band auxillary. Of course that was some twenty years ago. Back in my day we were called "lettergirls" or "lettercarriers". I suppose that the term "ID Unit" is also familiar to me. Nowadays I am a mother of a junior high "lettergirl" and so I am attempting to become updated with the band auxillary scene. I have been very disappointed :? to find little to no reference to lettergirls/ID units both on this site or any other. I have tried to locate information about marching routines, and camps but the trend seems to be with dance teams, color guards (whatever that is, forgive my ignorance), Drill teams ect.

Can anyone update me as to why this is :?:

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

I.d. Units

Post by Mr Pageantry » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:20 am

I caught both of your postings... you bring up a good point :wav: The "Letterettes' are really important because they are usually the first thing that judges and spectators see as the unit turns the corner or marches in a band review.... I think you willl learn more by attending one band review or parade... most of us are very friendly... why not look for a neighboring school with a good ID Unit and walk right up and speak with them... I am not positive but I think I've seen the Dos Palos ID ladies in several parades in the past.... You can go onto our main site and pick Pageantry LINKS off of our menu... Then look for the nORTHERN cALIFORNIA Band Association... many of their bands have reallly fine letter units.... (Foothill Pleasanton, Fairfield, Cupertino etc.... Or borrow someones video tape of the Rose Parade and take a look... you can write to almost any of those units and they would probably be most cordial and ready to assist with some ideas..... Now as to what a Colorguard is.... It's the unit that carries the flags on poles.... They also include rifles at some events and are popular as a competitive activity on their own with more than 800 groups competing in California alone.... At many band reviews (which are competitive street parades) the girls in the ID unit may also be members of the colorguard unit... Though letterettes are important they are also not used as much as colorguards since bands do not go to many band reviews in a season.. SO... why not encourage your daughter to attend a few colorguard practices or events to see if she also likes that activity... We do have some auxiliary competitions in California that have an ID unit division.... USA yes.. but also most of the auxiliary circuits might be able to help.... BUT Your best bet isto go to an event.. walk right up to the ID or Letter unit you see , and tell them of your plight... I am sure they will be happyto share information with you.... By the way.. we have a terrific ID unit right on the top of our pageantry page.. underthe word 'World' you can see the letter unit from Montebello HS in So. Cal....

Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

EP
New Recruit
New Recruit

Read my response in Twriller Vs Majorette

Post by EP » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:03 am

Harvey,

Glad to hear you're better...
God's speed to a full recovery.....
I posted a message that should be here too....
How can I change the symbol "new recruit"? I've been a band geek over 40 years... give me my credit due!

EP

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:31 pm

Hey! EP

I suggest that you work your way up to the rank you want dude. Just because you been a fan of band for over 40 yrs doesnt make you to be at a higher rank. Work the way up.

:D 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

EP
New Recruit
New Recruit

work my way up?

Post by EP » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:41 pm

Oh dear, you just got the hair on the back of my neck at attention...

Before you offer any advice, please do not make any assumptions... it could cost you alot down the road.... that you've got a smart mouth....

Girl, I have been active in marching bands and drum corps for over 40 years... I've participated, funded, taught, and adminstrated in many groups on both coasts.... throught out California and New York and New Jersey.

I don't care or need to "publish" my accomplishments to prove or impress anyone... I do this for the love of the art.

As an upcoming educator, I think you better think twice before you start giving "advice" when not requested.... this post was to Harvey... did I ask you for help?

So, who appointed you goddess of this chat room?

Nuff said... you've been reprimanded... now go bother some 13 year old and leave me alone.

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Re: work my way up?

Post by FourEyes85 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:24 pm

EP wrote:Oh dear, you just got the hair on the back of my neck at attention...

Before you offer any advice, please do not make any assumptions... it could cost you alot down the road.... that you've got a smart mouth....

Girl, I have been active in marching bands and drum corps for over 40 years... I've participated, funded, taught, and adminstrated in many groups on both coasts.... throught out California and New York and New Jersey.

I don't care or need to "publish" my accomplishments to prove or impress anyone... I do this for the love of the art.

As an upcoming educator, I think you better think twice before you start giving "advice" when not requested.... this post was to Harvey... did I ask you for help?

Nuff said... you've been reprimanded... now go bother some 13 year old and leave me alone.
Ugh...someone get this person a cookie.
Signature goes here.

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Re: work my way up?

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:45 pm

FourEyes85 wrote:Ugh...someone get this person a cookie.
haha :lol:
EP wrote:Oh dear, you just got the hair on the back of my neck at attention...

you've been in band geek for 40 yrs, congrats. you've only posted 11 times at this board. please earn your respect, and be an asset to this board.

I hope you didnt treat every1 in your '40 year band fan' career like that, if they said something to you that you didnt like.

MusicCoach is a good asset to this board, and she has respect from a lot of us. She joined 8 months later then you, and yet has almost 9 times as many more posts, all which of are meaningful posts.

Let me end with this question, that i was once asked: "Does the title make the difference?" also lemme add, is worth the energy to cause such a dispute?
Last edited by TMR Quint Kid on Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EP
New Recruit
New Recruit

Get Me a Cookie and sum Milk Fast

Post by EP » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:47 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the constructive criticism... point taken.. however, there is more than meets the eye.

I'm disappointed that one has to post memo's to earn respect... I thought giving and supporting the musical arts was the key... my bad...

I'm chilled and hope this can be put to rest.

Thanks again,

EP

PS do I have to clean the band room?

Mookmoos25
Veteran
Veteran

Lettergirls

Post by Mookmoos25 » Tue May 10, 2005 8:42 pm

I actually am in color guard and I was on the ID unit, which is also the Letter Line. The color guard is actually the auxillary unit at my school, so your daughter may be interested in that. But unless her high school has a bunch of shields and few members, she may not make it. My guard was of 41 members and only 9 could be on ID. I was one of the 9. I was lucky you may say. But I think your daughter may like guard if she enjoys ID.
Miss me much?

EP
New Recruit
New Recruit

Lettergirls/Id Unit

Post by EP » Wed May 11, 2005 7:19 am

:D Hi, first let me thank you in advance for supporting your daughter in her band activities. Please feel proud that your daughter has joined a unit with a fascinating history. Dos Palos in the early 60's and 70's was a power house marching band with an awesome ID unit and majorette team. For a small school, they were right up there with other northern Cal bands such as Cupertino, San Mateo, Merced, Atwater, Armijo, Santa Cruz, Chowchilla, Fairfield and many others.
ID units have either done some sort of "routine" through the years. Some groups were very simple with a "salute" to the judges, while others had very intergrated routines to the march in "salute" as a means to compliment the band, flags (colourguard) and majorettes. No matter what skill level was exhibited, these fine people always showed dignity and pride in themselves and their marching band.
Many ID units are part of the colourguard in today's environment...
Drum corps is an exciting expierence that I support you take your whole family to watch. Your daughter may want to talk with the kids on the field and want to learn more.
Back to your original question. You are the support system for your daughter and your marching band. Talk with your band boosters or band director and discuss how you and other parents can become involved in helping your kids reach a goal they want to accomplish. Only two words can capture it all, "Get Involved". You don't have to run the program, just help the students channel their energies and provide information. Old yearbooks, videos (ask other high schools) and cheer your kids at band reviews are some ideas. D.P. always had a strong band boosters and a large following. Maybe it's time to get recharged again.
In the "old" days, streets were lined with spectators from all over. Today, it's more of a private viewing.
It takes more of a desire to help than money to have a great program. So, with that being said, good luck and don't sweat the small stuff. You reward is seeing your daughter truly enjoying herself and being proud to learn something new and in turn, paying it forward.