Did you know?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

trudrum
New Recruit
New Recruit

Did you know?

Post by trudrum » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:15 am

This probly has been posted before, i havent been here long.

Ive read alot of articles on keeping your pit equipment in good condish, but in nearly everyone of those articles the author has refered to WD-40 as a lubricant. They say to use it on wheels and caster, stuff that is required to be free and have good mobility. But did you know WD-40 is not a lubricant, in fact its the exact oposite. The "WD" in the name stands for "water displacement" and the forty, funny fact, is to signify the number of attemps it took to get it right. WD's purpose is to break the hold on nuts and bolts that have a good hold on each other, by rust or whatnot, by displacing the water, or drying them up a little. I know its easy to just point and spray and "im done", but it is not a good idea to use WD-40 on your casters or wheels, cause it will dry them up. Im not dissing WD-40, it is a great product, but its great when its used corectly.
Some of the autors said to stay away from using grease, cause itll just build up gunk and dirt, but if it is re-applied each season, itll work just great and stay clean.
Thats my opinion, about the re-application.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:46 am

I agree, put WD-40 on the wheels of our marimba, ughh, made it worse :cry: