WGI rant

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Georgie
New Recruit
New Recruit

WGI rant

Post by Georgie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:48 pm

I have not seen anyone discuss this yet - - Is there anyone out there that is upset with WGI this year for either of the following reasons?
1) WGI regionals being back to back this year. For example, the Fresno and Hayward (Modesto) regionals are on back to back weekends with little to no time to take comments, consider them, and make some adjustments.
2) WGI scheduling colorguard and percussion finals on seperate weekends. I know groups that I have gone with to Championships were able to make it because the larger the group, the less they had to pay per person (and I have gone to Championships 5 times). Also, directors and school personnel will find it nearly impossible to take 2 weeks off to go to Dayton ... it simply will not work and is not fair to the students who are not going + most administrations will not go for it.
I might add that the level of shows this year seems to be way down except for a couple of top groups - namely Beyer and Clovis East.
Just my two cents ... I would love to see all of your feedback.

g0ery
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by g0ery » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:27 pm

I agree with #2 - in past years we were able to take our colorguard props, floor etc. on the truck with the drumline equipment. This year we've had to make other (read more expensive) arrangements.

I have a kid in each program. Since the SCPA finals are the same weekend as the WGI colorguard finals followed by the WGASC finals being the same weekend as the WGI percussion finals - its a logistical nightmare !

I'm going to Dayton to see colorguard while my wife stays at home for SCPA. The following weekend, my wife goes to Dayton to watch drumline and hopes to get back in time to see our daughter's final high school colorguard performance at WGASC.

My $0.02

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:23 pm

Lack of flexibility in scheduling is one of the concessions you have to make when dealing with a national organization. Seems like some of the regional organizations might need to take that into account next year when setting their show calendars. On the other hand, for WGI-headed drumlines, it seems like having the SCPA show a week before could be a nice warm up.

DanielE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DanielE » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:09 pm

SCPA champs are always the week before WGI champs.
Chino Hills High School Percussion Ensemble

Tenor:03-05

hhs1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Wgi

Post by hhs1 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:49 pm

HEY HOW ABOUT a regional the weekend of 4 major conventions one of them
the largest in the nation, and no hotels willing to give room to non gambling
high school students some times i think percussion is not wgi priority? but
thats just me. but if we want to compete against the very best this is were
we have to compete so i will just take it and maybe loose my mind :evil:

weezer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by weezer » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:56 pm

No, percussion is not WGI's priority, Color Guard is. You can figure that out by the name itself: Winter Guard International. There are way more color guard groups entered in WGI than drumlines, so I can understand if guard is their priority.

Even still, their percussion division is the best in the world, and I would expect that they know what they're doing.

And about the DVD thing... you can't blame them for trying to make more money, it's a non-profit organization :wink:
So this dyslexic guy walks into a bra...

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:52 pm

WGI's name came about in a time where there was no winter percussion. I believe that percussion is just as important as guard is. Of course there are more guards than percussion...guard has been competing nearly 3 times longer than percussion. It will take time...and percussion has been bigger and better each year as far as I can remember.

Vermin87
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Vermin87 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:24 pm

I know that the different times for the Guard/percussion WGI finals made it hard to plan a trip for both the CW guard and percussion. Thus, only guard got to go. There were other reasons, but the scheduling was no bonus.
Verent Chan
~Clovis West Drumline Section Leader '03-'05~