a question for instructors

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

a question for instructors

Post by jbdrummerdude » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:37 pm

At the school that i am teaching I am having a hard time to get the kids in line. it is mostly because of one person that is a key player that is quitting after winter and others that are 2nd year performers with heads bigger then their drums giving me attitude and telling me that "i have no idea what im talking about". I dont know if they dont take me seriously because im still in high school or if they dont have enough discipline. Im not able to do corporal punishment to them and yelling at them is getting REALLY old and our first comp is a little over 2 weeks so i cant just call off practice like people have told me to do. what should i do? HELP PLEASE!!

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:13 pm

jb,
Sounds like you've got a real discipline issue. Some things need to be established here...
#1 - Where's the band director on all of this. He is the official person in charge, and if there are problems, he needs to be aware of them first, so he can back you up. Your peers may be more likely to listen to an adult, even if he's not a percussionist.
#2 - What kind of standards are set for rehearsals? Are they/have they been clearly stated and defined. Don't take for granted issues such as being on time, being prepared, behavior, etc, which have not been clearly stated. Get this done clearly early on so there are no questions as to what's expected of the line members.
#3 - What are the consequences for not following the establihed rules/standards? Minor issues may be dealt with by you with some kind of penalty system (points, push ups, etc) but again, the band directr should be the one doling out the discipline, not you.

I'd recommend that at the start of your next rehearsal, you all sit down and figure this out; otherwise, your season may be over before it's started.

Good luck!

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curios0811 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:04 am

what school is this?
Yo

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jbdrummerdude » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:57 pm

a junior high school in norcal. its really sad because this is the year they might get moved up a devision and that hasnt happened to this junior high ever in its years of indoor percussion. Ill try talking to them so we know wats going on during rehearsal. and the band director usually either goes home or watches the guard but im sure if i ask him he would help with the discipline. thanks for the help.
JBoo

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:29 am

Hi! jbdrummerdude

I was wondering what is the name of the junior high you currently teaching at. Because I know someone from NorCal that is currently also teaching a junior high band and etc.

8-) :D
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:49 am

MusicCoach wrote:

Hi! jbdrummerdude

I was wondering what is the name of the junior high you currently teaching at. Because I know someone from NorCal that is currently also teaching a junior high band and etc.

8-) :D
I think JB is trying to protect the name of the school, and for good reason. He doesn't want to announce the name of school with discipline problems publicly and give them a bad name before they have a chance to straighten things out. Maybe ask him in a PM, if you really need to know.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:39 am

Hey! Goth_MV_Tenor

I will pm him sometime when i'm not busy!

:roll: :wink: :lol: 8-)
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

The Duel
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by The Duel » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:12 pm

I taught a middle school percussion when i was in high school. and we got first place whoo!....i think it'll be good talk to the band director. he'll talk to them and get the straightened out. Remember to always be perfessional and never let the kids see weakness. if the kids say your wrong, then look at them straight in the eye and ask "what makes it wrong? why is it wrong? what gives you the authority to say its wrong?" punishment works SOMETIMES not often. but best bet is to talk to the band director. he or she will know what to do.