drumline competitions?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

xWMSxGrLx
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xWMSxGrLx » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:34 pm

we're a junior high so we don't have a marching season. We're gonna be in ADLA and SCPA.
Baritone/Euphonium
2006 - "Rise Of Samurai" - Bass drum - caption :]
2006- "Oh, What a World" - WG
2007- JV WG- "Wanted: Dead or Alive"

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:01 am

WhSDrUmBuM wrote: Wow, I didn't know that Southern California had another drum circuit. I just went on the DAC website. It seems like a newer circuit.
Minh,

A little history...

Drums Across California was started in the spring of 1980 by Michael Ellerby, along with the cooperation of several very forward-thinking high school band directors, including Mitch Fennel and John Hausey. While there had been several independantly run shows at the time, this was the first "drumline circuit" in So. Cal.

The first shows were hosted at La Puente, Bellflower, Magnolia, and Mater Dei high schools (I may have left one off the list, hmm...), and the championships that year was held at Mission Viejo HS (this I know for sure because I put it together as a student at the time!).

The judges at that time were usually colleagues or past drum corps aquaintances of Mike Ellerby. Mike often served as the second judge himself (which probably wouldn't happen today, since he was working with many of the competing lines at the time). There were three divisions - Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced - and the judges both judged everything on one sheet (music, GE, excution).

From what I've read and seen lately, the DAC usually hosts several shows at 1 or 2 sites and appears to serve more of the southern OC/northern SD area than anywhere else. The previous Southern California Drumline Circuit, the precursor to the current American Drum Line Association, was an offshoot from DAC members who desired an slightly different venue and judging format.

One unusual offering of DAC (and I don't know if they still do this) was the individual drumset competition. That was kind of a quirky part of the event, where the set up was often longer (and ocassionally more amusing!) than the performance itself.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:50 am

Hey! Anyone

I was wondering if anyone would know the url for Drum Across California! I'm currently a Percussion Instructor. And would like to get more information about DAC!!!

:P 8-) :lol:
Last edited by MusicCoach on Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

mira mesa.... try adla

Post by Mr Pageantry » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:50 am

MIRA MESA PERCUSSION WOULD BE WELCOME IN THE AMERICAN DRUM LINE ASSOCIATION WITH MORE THAN 100 LINES... YOU CAN GO TO THE ADLA WEBSITE OR DROP ME AN EMAIL FOR MORE INFO.... HARVEY@WORLDOFPAGEANTRY.COM

:cool2:
CEO
World of Pageantry