The "Dut Dut" Song

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:42 am

I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying that's when dutting started...he was saying that the Cavies had dutting written into the show as a joke.

drum1980
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drum1980 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:31 am

RyanTurner wrote:
So you're in essence saying that:

1) Watching the drum major/conductor is not valid.

2) Having an internal metronome and learning how to use that is not valid.

3) Professional musicians who DON'T dut are not valid, even though they don't have "dirty attacks" and would be laughed out of the professional world if they DID dut.

You see, "dirty attacks" is not because of NOT dutting. It's because of bad musicianship and crappy instruction. Dutting is a nuisance. It's not musical. And it's distracting. So is tapping your foot (for all you wind players--just so I'm not accused of beating up on drummers.
Watching the drum major IS valid but they are not always the best time keepers in parts on music that require better tempo ( Not every drum major is perfect ). Your #2 point is crazy cause "dutting" would require a good sence of internal tempo. I do agree that it can get alittle loud but that would the last thing I would notice since I would be watching and listening to the show. #3... WRONG. Remember (and I know so people may not like this but...Whatever) that about 90 to 95 percent of the marching band or drum corps activity members are NOT professionals. Professionals are percussionist in an Orchestra or a studio/touring drummer, they don't need to dut cause they get paid to be PROFESSIONAL. I would laugh if the snare drummer for an orchestra dutted cause theres no one else to be in time with other then the Concert Bass or timpini which is not hard at all. The studio drummer is on his own other then the Bass and guitar player but they follow the drummer.

Last thing.... Dirty attacks are NOT because of bad instruction. I've seen really good lines with the worlds best instructors (BD, SCV, CADETS, PHANTOM...etc) play bad attacks. It happens to everyone. You can't just go out there on the first show and be totally clean and hit every attack. My suggestion would be to stop thinking about it and enjoy the show. Dutting helps... yes it can be alittle loud but its not going to kill you. If you love music then just sit and listen to the MUSIC not the duts.

Why is this even a topic? We all love music so lets just enjoy it. :D :D

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:58 am

drum1980 wrote: Dutting helps... yes it can be a little loud but its not going to kill you. If you love music then just sit and listen to the MUSIC not the duts.
Since I already conceded defeat in this particular argument about 3 months ago, I can truthfully say I'm over it. So I admit...dutting apparently "helps".

But to suggest I sit back and ENJOY THE MUSIC AND NOT THE DUTS...puhleeze. When the duts can be heard at the top of a pressbox and I'm in essence 50 yards away from the source of said duts--uhhhh, I don't think I'm going to back down on THIS part of the argument. IT'S TOO LOUD. And it's distracting...

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:51 pm

[quote="drum1980
Why is this even a topic? We all love music so lets just enjoy it. :D :D[/quote]

A: It's a topic because it was effecting groups scores and we can have a sense of humor here about letting them know that.

drum1980
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drum1980 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:04 am

True, we can have a sence of humor about this but why pick on the duts. Its more of a distraction to hear the people in the stand talking away or screaming when I'm watching a show.

How is dutting effecting scores? Is this High School your talking about or Drumcorps, cause I doubt its an issue in the drumcorps world.... Unless I've missed the latest new in Drum Corps World. :?

And Mr Turner. I did not mean to seem like an ass but I'm new here and I know that the post was old but the "Bad Instruction" comment is what sparked my fuse.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:10 pm

drum1980 wrote: How is dutting effecting scores? Is this High School your talking about or Drumcorps, cause I doubt its an issue in the drumcorps world....
Gee, I never thought we'd have to be this specific, but...
We were specifically addressing drumlines in marching bands in Southern California (although I'm sure this is a national problem) whose "duts" were being heard, quite loudly, during composed periods of silence in their shows. Since the silence was a compositional device intended to produce an effect, the noise of performers essentially "counting aloud" negated most of the effect that silence might have had. Upon hearing this, judges in the box are pretty much forced to mention it on their tapes and, as a result, consider it in their evaluation.

You are right that it isn't an apparent issue with most performing drum corps, because they generally perform on a more professional level.

Hope that helps narrow the concept down!
Last edited by Teever on Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bobus » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:00 pm

Honestly, still believe dhuts are a good thing but, Teever and Ryan are right on this aspect. In certain moments of a show you should not hear dhuts but, in an exciting show maybe it would be cool to have it. It really depends on the theme and the mood of the show. Dont dhut during a huge rest in the show where the intensity rests on the silence of a few quarter rests or whatever. But, dhutting is necessary and should be used. Just dont be ignorant about it. Im done with this topic now.
2001 - Troy Bassline
2002 - Troy Bassline
2003 - El Dorado Bassline
2004 - El Dorado Bassline captain
"Don't be a D---!"

SCVPigPimp
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SCVPigPimp » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:01 pm

dutting during long periods of rest are when they are most crucial, duts are the time... the duts is where all the time is at for the battery.. but its weird how this topic twisted so badly.. it was supposed to be about some song, not the pros and cons aboutn dutting :D anywho, this topic has pretty much died.. dutting is here to stay, and is something that is needed for a succesful battery...
Saddleback High School:
2002 Field (Aux.) AA
2003 Indoor (Timpano/Djembe) PSo
2003 Field ( Tenors) AA
2004 Indoor (Tenors) PSW
2004 Field (Tenors) AA
2005 Indoor (Snare) PSA

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:08 pm

I think this topic has been resolve awhile back when both sides argreed to disagree. You should read the earlier posts.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

drum1980
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drum1980 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:34 pm

WhSDrUmBuM wrote:I think this topic has been resolve awhile back when both sides argreed to disagree. You should read the earlier posts.
Yes, We know.... Some people don't go on here everyday or even week/month. Me, I'm new to this forum so I'm playing catch up.

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:21 pm

i dont know if i really want to get into this...

but here goes.

someone mentioned that duts could be cool in certain parts of the show. i was watching a scott johnson/Blue Devils instructional video, and in parts it shows the BD line on the field and the center snare duts in places, before attacks, and he seems to have a little clip on mic so the duts can be heard. i have no idea if that is true, but he also yells after certain spots, "YEAH!" or "WOOO!"....that seems to be an example of duts being used in a "professional" situation to add intensity.

because i dont want to get into this as an argument, i wont share my opinion on the usage of duts, save to say that i thought the way they were used in the BD video was cool.

just wanted to share that observation.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...