A question About Size

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

A question About Size

Post by MinCook » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:15 pm

Ok at my school we march seven snares and it is clean most of the time (high box 3, low box two). The parts could be a little bit more beefier if we cut some people and went with like 3 or 4 snares but its not too bad with 7 because all of us aren't superstars yet. But my question is would the judges give us the same credit (or about) if we have 7 snares playing a low box 2 book clean vs a snareline with 3 or 4 snares with a harder book that was about the same clarity? What is "better" in a judges opinion: difficulty in size or difficulty in repetoire?
Last edited by MinCook on Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:26 pm

Minh, judges get asked that question a lot, and it is a good one, however, there isn't a direct answer to it. That is because there is always more to your performance than just execution and demand. Other factors might include appropriateness (Does the music seem to be at a good level for the ensemble or its members, or is it too challenging to be attainable, or too easy? Does the percussion book complement and complete the wind book?), musicianship (besides playing cleaner, wouold a smaller line be more expressive, or does the larger size enable you to have a wider range of dynamics?), and effect issues (A larger snare line is a stronger visual element on the field, but it could tick more too. The impact attainable with a larger line could be greater than that of a smaller one. Would the music and visual program work just as well with less snares, or is the number pertinent to the effectiveness of the overall program?).

In a nutshell, what's going to work best [score-wise] is what works best for your performance, design and effect-wise! There is more to it than just playing a demanding book well, and a lot of thought in the pre-design stage and in pre-season rehearsals/setting the line will always help lead to the best overal situation for your group.

Sorry I can't just tell you it's one way or the other, but it's not. Now, how about spending some extra quality drummin' time with those coupla leakers?

Personally, it bothers me to see a line with 6 basses and 4 cymbals and 10 pit and only 2 snares and 1 or 2 tenors. While it might work for that line this year, it doesn't do much for the development of their younger players for future years. After all, there is a greater good to come of all of this, and that's the development of better musicians. So while you might feel that your line is being "held back" by the lack of progress from a few players who may be in a little over their heads, you should also be encouraged that it is by this same process that your line is moving forward. Keep drummin!

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:13 am

Yeah I think it is very good for our younger drummers too play with us too. We have two middle school drumline that feed into us so we have a lot of hands that come up each year. I do not feel that we are being held back anymore because our younger players learn very quick. I'm proud to see how much they have grown over the season. Actually our whole line is still young (This year we only have 1 senior and 2 juniors).

And for having a big line, its really fun marching with 7 snares, and it is a visual pleasure to see it on the field (when its clean). As for the judging issue, I can understand the problems and other factors that play a role in scoring. In the end all we can do is pratice, and then go pratice some more! :D
Thanks a lot for your answers Mr. Graves!
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

drumbum07
New Recruit
New Recruit

music

Post by drumbum07 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:48 pm

dificulty of ur book