Arcadia Percussion

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:26 pm

DanielE wrote:Yeah, from what I've noticed, you guys over at RB seem to care alot about scores (Best drumlines review thread says it all). It's not about the scores, it's about knowing you had a damn good show, and that's ALL that matters.
VERY TRUE
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:30 pm

Teever wrote:RBsnare - Don't let the fact that you weren't the highest scoring group of the evening ever change the way you feel about your show - you should have come off of the field feeling great, because you did have a great show! There were many outstanding lines there that night, and they should all be proud of their accomplishments this year - they truly have "raised the bar" this year!
just out of curiousity, what post of mine made you think that scores change my overall feeling about a show?
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

RBtenor06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RBtenor06 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:17 pm

We already said we felt awesome about the show etc. we were just bummed we didnt get a higher score, that doesn't mean i prefer the score. Don't jump to conclusions.
Game On.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:00 pm

Easy boys!
RBsnare - my apology, I believe I was answering RBtenor and typed you by mistake.
RBtenor, perhaps I could say you weren't happy with your placing or something else, but your exact words were "...a sour ending for us (scorewise)...", so that was the impression I got from your post. I stand corrected.
At any rate, my point was not really to emphasize what your priorities are, just to encourage you to keep enjoying playing well for the sake of playing well! No offense intended - enjoy the rest of your year!

MisheChi

Post by MisheChi » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:47 pm

Whoo! Kaiser won 1st place! oh man, what a story.. we had like 10 to our competition date when we finally got to Arcadia High School becuase one of our buses wouldn't start... It was a fun day and great when we won! :D

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:55 pm

What did u guys win.....I thought Chino came in first....There was only 3 placings for Percussoin from 1A-6A......3rd...ED.....2nd...RBV....1st...Chino
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

marimbatechnique
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by marimbatechnique » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:23 am

Survivor wrote:What did u guys win.....I thought Chino came in first....There was only 3 placings for Percussoin from 1A-6A......3rd...ED.....2nd...RBV....1st...Chino
Were you unaware there was an entirely set aside percussion competition with both "street" and "field" performances?

Kaiser won street
Valencia (Placentia) won field

BassSurfer06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by BassSurfer06 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:33 am

What's the difference between "street" and "field"? I don't understand it.
'02'-03'-Fall-Bass 4
-Winter-Auxilary Percussion
'03-'04-Fall-Bass 1
-Winter-Bass 1
'04-'05-Fall-Bass 1 Drum Captain
-Winter-Bass 1 Drum Captain

marimbatechnique
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by marimbatechnique » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:10 pm

BassSurfer06 wrote:What's the difference between "street" and "field"? I don't understand it.
Idk about street but I participated in the field. I think street was more like cadences etc with only battery while field was more like field music w/ pit included.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:09 pm

As part of the Arcadia Festival of Bands, bands who participated in the band review were also given the option of entering a standstill-type drumline competition which was held at the awards ceremony location - the high school stadium. Lines could enter in either of two categories; either "Street", which was basically for lines playing primarily cadences and without pit and "Field", which was primarily for lines with full instrumentation. Most of the "Field" lines played some sort of modified version of their field show music. Some lines made more intensive efforts at presenting a more complete visual package as well. Lines performed on the track, right in front of the stands, which made for an exciting performance environment - especially if members of a line's band were right there on the fence.

Way back when, a similar competition was held after the review. It was called the Dr. D'Arcy drum competition, and lines were given the field area from the goal line to the 50 yard line to basically do whatever they wanted. This was a unique event, since at the time, the only other drumline competitions were held "on the march" as part of other major band reviews (such as Chino, Colton, and Santa Monica). This was, I believe, Arcadia's second year in bringing back the drumline competition, and it was really a fun place to play!