Best Drumlines...Review

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:37 am

Man, I wish Murrieta Valley was going to arcadia, its much more exciting competing against a bunch of 6A bands. But Alas, we have a community commitment and are going to be the only 6A band at Temecula FST. So, we've already won 6A there, just playing for fun and practice for champs. Good luck for everyone going to arcadia.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

RBtenor06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RBtenor06 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:57 am

is your instructor matt power?
Game On.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 pm

indeed he is, i dont actually go to the school i graduated i just help out with the pit...y'know trying to emulate what power would say. Before I tell them something I always think...would power tell them that? anyhow, yeah he's a great instructor and the percussion section is rockin this year.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

BestDrum Line

Post by JLGORMAN » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:33 pm

No offense to the Californian's however we have a group that could give you all a run for your money. last weekend in Nashville, TN, at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention, Marcus High of Flower Mound, TX Took the Fred Sanford Award for the Highest Score for any Drum Line, College or High School in the event. They beat 11 College Drum Lines and also won the caption category in Best Snare Line, Best Tennor Drums, Best Bass Drums, Best Cymbals, and Best Front Ensemble. They scored a 94.8 out of 100 besting the secnd place Band, Pope High School of GA by 14.3 Points. They also were named best in High School Class along with the Sanford Award.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

RBtenor06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RBtenor06 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:31 pm

Comments deleted....

The comments that were posted here have no business on a public forum. Keep them in private message or I will delete your account!

Pageantry Webmaster
Game On.

lilpitprincess
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lilpitprincess » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:42 pm

That sounds pretty cool, I wish I could get to see Marcus HS. :( :twisted:
Last edited by lilpitprincess on Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mt. Carmel Marching Sundevil 2001-2005
2005 SD Alternative Percussion Ensemble
MCHS c/o 2005 The Sun Never Sets
Biola University Symphonic Winds 2005-2009

marimbatechnique
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by marimbatechnique » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:00 pm

basshaterbutplayer wrote:obviously 6a is the only divison with good drumlines

91s 92s and 93s mean nothing

:roll: :roll: :roll:
I've seen some smaller lines way cleaner and better than 6a lines and ive seen those 6a lines score nearly 5 points higher... and a couple of those examples was just pure obvious. Yeah yeah i know the judges cant give the first school coming out a 95 cause then if 10 other schools are better he's gotta fit them in between 95-99, but my point is at least somewhat valid. I think if they can play, they should be scored and get 6a type credit - especially with a lot of shows doing overall percussion scores at awards. If the line can play - give them the credit.

RBtenor06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RBtenor06 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:30 pm

at Vista we (RB) went before etiwanda, poway. murrieta, amd rbv. and performed right after helix, though we still scored 95.8. So its not always timing that defines a score. But i agree there are some good 5a's.
Game On.

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Re: BestDrum Line

Post by MinCook » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:22 pm

JLGORMAN wrote:No offense to the Californian's however we have a group that could give you all a run for your money. last weekend in Nashville, TN, at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention, Marcus High of Flower Mound, TX Took the Fred Sanford Award for the Highest Score for any Drum Line, College or High School in the event. They beat 11 College Drum Lines and also won the caption category in Best Snare Line, Best Tennor Drums, Best Bass Drums, Best Cymbals, and Best Front Ensemble. They scored a 94.8 out of 100 besting the secnd place Band, Pope High School of GA by 14.3 Points. They also were named best in High School Class along with the Sanford Award.
Do you guys do indoor percussion? There are a lot of great Lines from northern and southern California that compete in the WGI as well as other many great lines from other states. Maybe Marcus High should think about doing indoor if you guys want to prove yourselves nationaly as a drumline. :D
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

drumliner425
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumliner425 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:38 pm

[quote="marimbatechnique"][quote="basshaterbutplayer"]obviously 6a is the only divison with good drumlines

91s 92s and 93s mean nothing

:roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

I've seen some smaller lines way cleaner and better than 6a lines and ive seen those 6a lines score nearly 5 points higher... and a couple of those examples was just pure obvious. Yeah yeah i know the judges cant give the first school coming out a 95 cause then if 10 other schools are better he's gotta fit them in between 95-99, but my point is at least somewhat valid. I think if they can play, they should be scored and get 6a type credit - especially with a lot of shows doing overall percussion scores at awards. If the line can play - give them the credit.[/quote]

i TOTALLY agree with you. just cuz they're 6A doesn't mean they should get 90s. although most of them are pretty good, there are smaller lines that play way better but don't get represented.

bass1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bass1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:56 pm

lol wow I haven't seen so much bs coming from the rancho bernardo drumline and I haven't been in here for quite awhile...go do indoor and we'll see how you do rb :)
bass 1

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:52 pm

i think my comment was misinterpreted (sp?)

most of the "top lines" listed were a higher divison, but many lower divisons have out scored those listed (San Marcos, Hart, etc)

sorry for any misunderstandings

RBtenor06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RBtenor06 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:57 pm

bass1 wrote:lol wow I haven't seen so much bs coming from the rancho bernardo drumline and I haven't been in here for quite awhile...go do indoor and we'll see how you do rb :)
bs??? first off a 95.8 doesnt lie bud. And if we could do indoor drumline, we would, but our school/band program won't fund us or let us do it, i donno why they dont but w/e. Where are from that puts you ina postion to say that in the first place.
Game On.

bass1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bass1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:27 pm

what's bs is the ego you guys have developed from taking a percussion caption once...look at the way you responded to me..."a 95.8 doesn't lie bud"...lol get a grip and stop hyping yourselves.
bass 1

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by geefunk1026 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:08 am

Wow, there sure is a lot of passion on the board. I think it's great that everyone is really into what they're doing. But all the self-hyping and bagging of other people on the board is getting a bit out of hand. This is a community for drummers to share thoughts and opinions, not a place to talk about how good your line is.

Greg