Best Drumlines...Review

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:34 pm

Goth_MV_Tenor wrote:Well, if you REALLY want to talk about the BEST drumlines we should probably be talking about the Cadets and Santa Clara...
yeah nuff said there, who cant wait for the drum corp season to start! woohoo!

(...too bad SCVs snare line is going matched....)

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Clean The Wax Out Of Your Ears, Kid!!!

Post by Teever » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:20 pm

RBtenor,
You need to read and listen CAREFULLY.
Yes, your ARCADIA sheet (check the post date) mentions your staging (see points made in Ryan H Turner's thread eslewhere) but the tape from that show makes absolutely NO MENTION of the need for a "pure drum feature"!!! Indeed, that would surely be out of place. Listen carefully to what's is being said and re-read the criteria referred to so you can better understand how you're being evaluated, so you won't be tempted to make ignorant statements such as "The judge didn't like our sound", or [not your quote]"The judge didn't dig what we worked hard to achieve". If you had indeed listened to what was being said and how it was stated, you would be hard pressed to make such statements. You might represent the fine work of Mr. Cole, the other members of your program, and yourself if you spoke/wrote more intelligently.

luv2drum06

...consistency...

Post by luv2drum06 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:02 am

isn't one of the most key factors of a good drumline consistency???? everyone is getting really blown up over RB, when their line isn't even that consistent...They may have won at vista, but what about at Mira Mesa and Arcadia??

Also, i don't think that anyone is taking Chino and RBV into account...i performed early in the line up at arcadia, and they were both pretty hott...not just clean, but they both had a pretty difficult book

....just my two cents :hum:

Belle05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Just a question...

Post by Belle05 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:12 pm

Does diffuculty of the show count for anything? I've heard (and don't be offended because i don't know if it is true or not) that certain lines score higher because everything they play is super simple....Just a question.
I want to be a glow worm
cause a glow worm's never glum
cause how can you be gloomy when the sun shines out your bum!

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: ...consistency...

Post by lordjedediah » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:38 pm

luv2drum06 wrote:isn't one of the most key factors of a good drumline consistency???? everyone is getting really blown up over RB, when their line isn't even that consistent...They may have won at vista, but what about at Mira Mesa and Arcadia??
excellent point

a good drum line can pull off a good show

a great drumline can do it everytime

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:46 pm

Does diffuculty of the show count for anything? I've heard (and don't be offended because i don't know if it is true or not) that certain lines score higher because everything they play is super simple....Just a question.
I think its more variety than difficulty, If your book has different kinds of style of music and different interps for that style that the judges give you credit in your repetoire. And if you could pull off all those different varieties with professionalism, sound quality, and clarity, then your PA caption would reflect that too.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:39 pm

Bello brings up an excellent question.
The trick is to balance the demand of what you're playing (difficulty) with how well you can perform it (excellence), with the goal being to play the cleanest, most musically diverse show you can that will also be enough of a challenge to your group that it is worth devoting 3 months to. This always applies to the visual as well as musical aspects of your program.
A well programmed show should be performed cleanly. Some directors/designers do a very good job of selecting/writing a show that is very performable by their group, while others may find that the demand of the program was too high for the group to ever completely clean. To me, the best mix is to produce a show that can be performed early, but still allows room for growth & cleaning all the way up until the last couple shows (about now).

SmHsBaSsLiNe
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SmHsBaSsLiNe » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:16 am

whoever said that only 6A lines deserve credit need to think about some of the low class lines...like 2A...that have been scoring almost as high as the 6A....92 does mean something when a 2A line earns it. And when that 2A line moves up to a high division in indoor...we'll just wait and see what happens.

critter
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by critter » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:08 pm

Does this mean that you are in a low class line?

fast 3's

Post by fast 3's » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:59 pm

I heard that this year Etiwanda had a new drum staff and that's why they weren't as clean as past years. I thought they were good, but they looked young this year. I heard their old staff moved to Florida or something like that to teach Magic? Anyone know if this is the case? I am sure Magic would be happy to have them after last year.......

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:14 am

fast 3's wrote:I heard that this year Etiwanda had a new drum staff and that's why they weren't as clean as past years. I thought they were good, but they looked young this year. I heard their old staff moved to Florida or something like that to teach Magic? Anyone know if this is the case? I am sure Magic would be happy to have them after last year.......
No, Pete Sapadin (the percussion caption head for the Troopers). Teaches at Etiwanda, and is an excellent instructor, so regardless of whether there was an instructor change or not has nothing to do with how they placed this year. It's probably just a young line that will be incredible in years to come.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:14 am

fast 3's wrote:I heard that this year Etiwanda had a new drum staff and that's why they weren't as clean as past years. I thought they were good, but they looked young this year. I heard their old staff moved to Florida or something like that to teach Magic? Anyone know if this is the case? I am sure Magic would be happy to have them after last year.......
NO Matt Gungar or how ever you spell it (its french) is still there. He is one of there many percussion head instructors. I dont think that its because of there instructor why they did not do well its mabey other groups are doing better......They did very good at SCSBOA but Chino just had a better show.....

Good job chino
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

fast 3's

Post by fast 3's » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:34 pm

Yeah, I know Matt is still there, I saw him at the show I went to, but Romo (the dude who started HeavyHitterPads and was there for like 5-6 years is no longer there. They had a good run over that time, but I thought the line looked and sounded different this year, so I wondered what happened to Romo because I didn't see him at championships. I also checked the Magic site last night and sure enough, he is the new caption head there. So I guess I answered most of my own questions.......

Bobus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bobus » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:35 pm

Goth_MV_Tenor wrote:
No, Pete Sapadin (the percussion caption head for the Troopers). Teaches at Etiwanda, and is an excellent instructor, so regardless of whether there was an instructor change or not has nothing to do with how they placed this year. It's probably just a young line that will be incredible in years to come.
Thats exactly what i have thought all year.
2001 - Troy Bassline
2002 - Troy Bassline
2003 - El Dorado Bassline
2004 - El Dorado Bassline captain
"Don't be a D---!"