I need help!!! calling all pit and timpani people

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

I need help!!! calling all pit and timpani people

Post by DrummerBoy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:55 pm

i got some questions on timpani heads. i broke 2 timpani heads and i need to replace them before the next tourny. and got questions. do u need an insert ring or no. how do u measure a timpani head to buy a replacement???????????????????? i really want to know about the insert ring thing , do u need the timpani head to come with an insert ring or no???? well if u have any other suggestions that u think will help too all take them. thanx you very much. i need help!!!!
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07

WOW Can I SEE your Timpani?

percussion101
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by percussion101 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:25 pm

well if you're talking about the same insert ring i'm thinking of...thats for drum set bass drums....now the way you can measure the timp head is obviously directly across but usually if you have covers for your timps, the size will be on the inside of them.... as for parts.... all you need is a timp key (drum keys and timp keys are different in size) and a head... Its a good idea to not wear nice clothes when you do this cause some of the parts have grease on them. Another thing is that if you've never done a timp head change before, just ask for help because you'll damage the new heads before you know it. Talk to your drum instructor or your band director. i'm sure your director would know who to talk to about that.

once again... you DO NOT need any insert rings.

hope i've helped.

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerBoy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:51 pm

thanx man u answered a bunch of my question, keep the sugggestions coming guys thanx
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:00 pm

I think if you visit the Ludwig or Vic Firth site, they have an entire section on changing timpani heads (might be the Pearl site).

Do take the opportunity to make sure the bearing edge (the part of the bowl that the head rests on) is clean before setting a new head on - this has a great effect on the drum's tone. You can rub some parrafin on the edge at this time, or put teflon tape on it (no grease or vaseline!).
Most guys will use a carpenter's square set across the head and hanging down over the rim (like an upside-down "L") to check that they're applying even tension as the work cross-wise tightening the tension rods. The rim should measure the same distance down at each rod. Continue tightening the rods until there are no ripples in the head, and the drum produces a clean tone with the pedal in its "toe up" position. Push the pedal down to see if it will stay in the down position. At this time, it is most likely that the pedal will stay down easier than it stays up. If that's the case, continue to tighten the head (I know, it seems contrary to what you're trying to achieve, but this is the way the mechanics of the drum work) until the pedal will remain in the up position all on its own. It should then also be able to stay in the down position as well.
Be sure to mark the head or collar of the head, and the rim of the drum in at least one place - whenever a timpani head is removed, it should always be reseated in exactly the same location.
As for sizes, sometimes you will be fortunate enough to have them printed on the side of the collar. Usually its in the form of a number like "T2900" or something like that. The best thing to do, if you can, is to always take the old head in with you. If you still have questions about sizing, talk to Matt at Anaheim Band Instruments (714)999-5051 and he'll get it right for you. They will probably have what you need in stock as well.
Good luck!

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerBoy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:18 pm

thanx a bunch guys, helped allot, aye any suggestion on what malets are the best for outdoor use????????????
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07

percussion101
New Recruit
New Recruit

mallets...

Post by percussion101 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:31 pm

that is a good question. well the answer is: experiment with some mallets and see what you prefer. sound wise, it depends on your show. I reccomend that you avoid Pro-mark's outdoor line. I bought a pair of these and they did not last that long. I reccomend sticking with regular concert mallets. My preference has always been vic firth "American Customs". Why? well i like that instead of making the mallet head a different piece, they just formed it as part of the stick. This improves durability so you dont have to worry about loosening the mallet or having it fly off in a middle of a performance. For outdoor sounds, i'd go with a pair of t1's for rolling and soft parts, and a pair of t3's for all of the accented and staccato parts. I personally own the t1 and have used the t3 and i think that they are great. Another great reason for these is that they can be used for concert season so your investment does not go to waste. The new Tim Genis mallets from vic firth are awesome too but are pricey.

Another good Company to go to for timp mallets is Innovative Percussion. Their mallets are specially made so that the weight of the mallet is evenly distributed. They're cool for rolls and such. Not designed for outdoor rigorous use but a nice addition to your collection.

Just keep in mind that it is always good to have at least two pairs of timp mallets, one for rolling and one for a little more general playing.

I hope that i've been able to help you in your search for mallets.

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerBoy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:02 am

you helped allot, welll right now i use the vic firth corpsmaster timpani mallets t1's right now i was thinking of buying the hole set. but i wanted some suggestion, ive been waiting for someone to say something about the vicfirth custums, i dont know anybody else have any suggestions??? and does anyone know anything about the bamboo shaft timpany mallets ive seen. wats the difference do they feel better or something????
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07

percussion101
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by percussion101 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:51 pm

the bamboo shaft on those mallets give the sticks a little more flex.....i've never used them and have never met anyone that has......but like i said in my last post, you really have to go out there and try a little of everything....

as for the vic corpmasters, i have used them in the past, but was never fond of them. I've always been more into concert percussion than marching band percussion. Thats probably why i go with the american customs.

I've always thought that the dowels were too heavy on the corpmasters so i go with the concert series. I've always been able to produce great sounds with the tapered mallets so i never found use for the corpmasters.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

bamboo shafts

Post by Teever » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:11 pm

The theory behind the bamboo shafts is to give you plenty of shaft thickness without the weight/mass, hence the entire mallet feels lighter and may come off of the head quicker. I like them for quick, articulate passages where you want a hard mallet sound , but not a big heavy, clunky sound. The Hinger company used to also make a very lightweight metal version of mallets for the same effect (haven't checked to see if they're still out there though).

I'd have to agree with P101 on the corpmasters - they just feel too heavy and the regular American Custom series does the job really well.

Make sure to keep your drums covered, and keep a towel handy for those damp night performances - moisture really causes the drums to lose both tone and projection.

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerBoy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:45 pm

yeah i got the towel and keeping the covers on the timps, but apparently those people that played before me didnt know that so lets just say i dont have the best timpany in the word, and the worse part is the copper bowl isnt even in good shape, i dont know wat these people beofre me did but they got some bad dents in the most important part of the timpany, well i use the corpsmasters kuz i play iin marching band and im always playing outside at night and i need something to hold up. ur right they are pretty top heavy, i heard vic firth came out with a timpany mallet that the tips dont alter, like some mallets when they get damp they start falling apart. and i got a question wats the fury stuff on the tip of the mallets called?? any specific name for them? i got a bunch of questions but all ask them 2 or 3 at a time. oh and how do u guys feel about putting tape on ur mallets? and thanx guys for answering my questions
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:37 pm

Drummerboy,
The "fuzzy stuff" is usually a type of felt or other material, and it is replaceable, btw. In the case of the Vic Firth mallets, you can purchase replacement felts for most of their mallets, and they sew on really easily (and I can't sew!), making your mallet heads like new again! Check Lone Star Percussion (google it) for order info.

Taping your mallets (you mean the shaft only, right?) is just fine - may even help your grip on a damp evening if you do it by going around the stick, rather than lengthwise, and it looks cool.

The dents in your copper bowls can be removed by a qualified repairman - some brass guys can do it well.

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerBoy » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:11 am

yeah i was tlakin bout the shaft, kuz i tape my shafts to match the rest i guess, and it looks kewl. well how much would it cost to repair dents in a copper bowl? like how much per dent? and do u know of any good timpany mallets for outdoor use? some that will hold up more than one season? and that sound good to and maybe light too??? do you know of any good web site for timpani, ones that have a good selection of timpani heads ,ad mallets and such? and do u know of any sites about timpani, like on how to have good technique and that have drills and timpani scales i can print out?? kuz i need some timpani scales.
OH huge question right here. Does anyone know anything about marching timpani, like the ones phantom regiment used in the early 80's and in the 70's?? anyone have any picture of marching timpani, or any info, or any url's to any site with info????
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07

percussion101
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by percussion101 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:19 am

marching timpani eh? well i found it once by doing a google image search....thats your best bet but other than that its hard to find anyone that uses them now and days....

as for the websites.....i love ludwig's site that is dedicated to timpani......has alot about different timp mechanics and such... As for exercises, i'd look up some drum corps cause its audition season and they like to post tryout exercises on their websites....i'm sure you can find many useful links at http://www.dci.org . just google whatever you need.... thats how i've learned so much about timpani.

BTW, vic firth's website has this sample from a book that you can check out....go there and under education you should find it....has useful stuff but is not complete...just browse vic firth and you'll learn lots. http://www.vicfirth.com[/url]

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:56 am

There also an article somewhere on dci.org about marhcing timpani/xylo's, it was some guy reminiscing basically but he describes what they were like to play and carry.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerBoy » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:36 pm

any answers on my mallet qustion, all repeat. um does anyone have any suggestions on a timp mallet that would be good for outdoor use, something that will not fall apart after on season, and that sounds good, and is maybe light too?
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07