BASS, Snare, Quads?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:57 pm

i started as a bass palyer and i love it and now this year ive been bumped to snare cuase the instructor heard me messing around playing tradish and he thought i could help the line out 2nd semester play snare so i guess its snare now dont get me wrong i love hearing good bass lines ::thinks of BD bass line:: :drop:
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

Bobus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bobus » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:02 pm

ive been playing bass for my whole high school year and i plan to in the future. It is not a step down unless you mean sound and its definately not a step back because only one person plays your part and depending on the quality of the bass line will determine how hard it is. Its actually up to you to make it challenging.
2001 - Troy Bassline
2002 - Troy Bassline
2003 - El Dorado Bassline
2004 - El Dorado Bassline captain
"Don't be a D---!"

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:10 pm

During my High School career, i've marched all of the drums. Each drum has its own perks and downs. If I had to choose between those three, I would choose the section with the best hands to suit that section.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

SCVPigPimp
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SCVPigPimp » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:31 am

yeah.. it pretty mch depends on what you prefer, i enjoy snare sometimes because they get aot more notes and more complex rythmical and rudimental patterns than either snare or bass... the downside, is that it is very monotone... Tenors, i also played, the tenors are really fun to play, a bit easy on the rudimental side, but the diferent tones, corss overs and the overall visual effect.. Bass drum, my favorite is actually a really hard drum to play.. rudimantally it is hella easy.. technique wise its difficulty (if played correctly) and be as hard as playing snare... being on a bassline is a bit harder than most think, u have to basically think the same.. use the same interp and many other things.. for me.. I prefer bass.. bass 5.. in yo face ! ^_^
Saddleback High School:
2002 Field (Aux.) AA
2003 Indoor (Timpano/Djembe) PSo
2003 Field ( Tenors) AA
2004 Indoor (Tenors) PSW
2004 Field (Tenors) AA
2005 Indoor (Snare) PSA

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:29 pm

for me it really depends on the skill level of the rest of the people of my section i play snare right now and the skill level is pretty good and i love it and last year i was on a bass line with killer splits and it was awsome so i dont really find it fun if your ni a sucky section
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

Tha Percussionist

tenor

Post by Tha Percussionist » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:04 pm

tenors are the best , and they dont get enough recognition (well i didnt) for carrying such a heavy instrument lol, yeah 5th bass may be heavy also, but thats only 1 of the how ever many basses your group has...well that was just my experience. tenors could have music just as difficult as snares...just depends...lol what do i know? i havent drummed innawhile. haha

drummingisgood
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummingisgood » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:40 pm

Bass is boring when u have less people
Quads is fun
Snare is Cool
Ryan H. Turner wrote:
Ryan H. is INNNNNNNNNNNN DA' HOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE!!!
Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:49 am

SCVPigPimp
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SCVPigPimp » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:21 pm

yeah bass can be boring, its not an easy drum fer sher.. every drum has its difficulties and its.. eas-ies ? ( haha, i didnt know what word to put) anywho, yeah, snare, hardest to play, easier to march, tenors- a bit easier to play a bit harder to march.. Bass however can range widely.. Bass 1 - easy note placement, lots of notes tho, easiest to march.. Bass 2- Hardest note placement, lots of notes, easy to march, a bit harder than top because you are setting the diagonals and keeping the interval... Bass 3- is an easy drum to play, get some notes, not as much as the top 2 but ya get in on all the split easy to march, but again, keeping the intervals and diags.. Bass 4- is probably the hardest along with bass 2, note placement is very difficult, and it is a bit more dificult to march than the other top 3.. The Pig (bass 5) is overall the easiest to play, not placement is really easy, the hard part about playing bass 5 is that it holds most of the timing down, you have to have solid timing with 5 ( along with any drum in the battery).. it is the hardest drum to march in the bassline.. if not the hardest in the line.. but its a fun drum :D
Saddleback High School:
2002 Field (Aux.) AA
2003 Indoor (Timpano/Djembe) PSo
2003 Field ( Tenors) AA
2004 Indoor (Tenors) PSW
2004 Field (Tenors) AA
2005 Indoor (Snare) PSA

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:52 pm

the bass drum is easily the loudest drum/instrument on the field and in the gym. that's why i like it so much...you have more power!!!
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg