BASS, Snare, Quads?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

JrSMHSTenors
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by JrSMHSTenors » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:35 pm

Tenors are my favorite.I play bass and tenors and I think tenors are the most fun.Bass splits are pretty sweet though once they're clean.But I just love playing tenor breaks.Snare just isn't the thing for me.I'm not really the one for traditional.Match Grip all the way!

LPlvr
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by LPlvr » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:45 pm

I have to say that bass is pretty rockin. At my school we have an all girls bass line and its pretty insane!! :lol:

LPlvr
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by LPlvr » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:45 pm

I have to say that bass is pretty rockin. At my school we have an all girls bass line and its pretty insane!! :lol:

pretty_in_pit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pretty_in_pit » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:46 pm

i think tenors are the best! i don't play them(yet lol) but it's awesome to watch our tenor line go crazy

basses are cool too

lilpitprincess
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lilpitprincess » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:58 pm

I've never played any of them, but if I were to play one I'd pick quads, cuz you know one drum is just not enough, lol. No but seriously I love quads!!!

Mt. Carmel Marching Sundevil 2001-2005
2005 SD Alternative Percussion Ensemble
MCHS c/o 2005 The Sun Never Sets
Biola University Symphonic Winds 2005-2009

thegodfaughnder
Rookie
Rookie

Bass

Post by thegodfaughnder » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:40 pm

Bass is sick
especially when you get a tight line with a bunch of 32nd note splits. Then it gets crazy

Kybo_Ren
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Kybo_Ren » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:02 am

Tenors.

IMO, snare has a crappy sound. Also, I hate traditional grip.
Tenors have the best sound, and the grip is the most natural (to me).

cheeseit

Post by cheeseit » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:45 pm

a clean snare lick sends shivers down my spine.
but anyways.
i like all three instruments equally. but if i could choose the instrument i could march for scv..hah.. i'd probably do bass.
bass 3 01-02
tenors 02-03
snare 03-04
snare 04-05

sh0rty41

Post by sh0rty41 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:15 pm

Bass is my favorite.. but I also wouldnt mind being on quads, they're pretty fun

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm

Teever wrote:While I've played them all, there's a definate heirarchy (that's an order of importance) that's typically followed when assigning players to instruments:

Bass - good team players, good pulse concepts & subdivision of the beat, limited technique.
Tenor - same as bass, but with better technique and reading ability; may lack coordination on drags & rolls and uniformity of style (it's easier to hide this on tenors).
Snare - same as above, but with the best uniformity fo technique and ability to play drags, rolls, and flam patterns.

Just remember - every team needs all the positions covered by good players!

this is very true. i find that at my school, people in the battery all want to move up (myself included). most of our bassline sort of thinks of it as a stop along the way, which is great in some ways, because we have a bunch of people wanting to get better. however, when i moved from bass to snare, i found that looking back, bass was a lot of fun, and i would love to play it again in a good line.

so im curious.
bass drummers, do you view bass as just a stop on the way to something "higher" in the chain, or do you really like it and want to keep playing it? because we know its great to have experienced players on ALL intruments.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

LPlvr
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by LPlvr » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:01 pm

This is my first year on bass and I view bass as a stop on the way to upper battery. There is also another member on our bassline who is planning to stay on bassline until she graduates.
[dhf]GirlieBreeze-ayB

thegodfaughnder
Rookie
Rookie

Bass

Post by thegodfaughnder » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:30 am

I'll probably stick to bass next year. I really dig it and it doesn't bother me that i won't be movin to tenors next year.

BassSurfer06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by BassSurfer06 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:18 pm

RBSnare wrote:
Teever wrote:While I've played them all, there's a definate heirarchy (that's an order of importance) that's typically followed when assigning players to instruments:

Bass - good team players, good pulse concepts & subdivision of the beat, limited technique.
Tenor - same as bass, but with better technique and reading ability; may lack coordination on drags & rolls and uniformity of style (it's easier to hide this on tenors).
Snare - same as above, but with the best uniformity fo technique and ability to play drags, rolls, and flam patterns.

Just remember - every team needs all the positions covered by good players!

this is very true. i find that at my school, people in the battery all want to move up (myself included). most of our bassline sort of thinks of it as a stop along the way, which is great in some ways, because we have a bunch of people wanting to get better. however, when i moved from bass to snare, i found that looking back, bass was a lot of fun, and i would love to play it again in a good line.

so im curious.
bass drummers, do you view bass as just a stop on the way to something "higher" in the chain, or do you really like it and want to keep playing it? because we know its great to have experienced players on ALL intruments.

I've been on bass since the beginning. I LOVE bass, and I don't think I'll change, It's awesome. I've been moved to snare twice, but both times I switched back to bass. Snare isn't that fun, well atleast that's what I think. So yeah, bass is my thing.
'02'-03'-Fall-Bass 4
-Winter-Auxilary Percussion
'03-'04-Fall-Bass 1
-Winter-Bass 1
'04-'05-Fall-Bass 1 Drum Captain
-Winter-Bass 1 Drum Captain

copycat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by copycat » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:43 pm

i prefer snare because i am not good at splitting notes in bass line(aka not a good bass player) and i am learning tenors right now. snare rocks!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

ChaoSnare
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ChaoSnare » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:52 pm

It used to be (for me at least) that bass was a "stop along the way" before higher drums but then...revelation- I found out what it was like to be in a good run. *shivers* oooooooo.....so I think I'm going to stay on bass till I graduate...lol, otherwise...gotta love that snare sound.