Instructor's losing their Cool

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

TSLeeMMAPerc
New Recruit
New Recruit

Instructor's losing their Cool

Post by TSLeeMMAPerc » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:18 am

My nephew joined his school's drum line this year. But his instructor (not going to mention his name) always throws sticks everytime he loses his cool. He doesn't throw it at his students, but i'm concerned what would happen, if he accidently hits one of his students.

His parents already called the school principal and complained about it, but seems like nothing happened, since he's still there.

What should be the next step, so that accident's don't happen?

Sixfdsteve
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sixfdsteve » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:38 am

As an instructor I find that kind of behavior totally uncalled for. In my eyes that is a very immature way to deal with frustration. Not to mention the possible saftey issue as well. I know it can be frustrating at times as an instructor but being in that position one must realize how to maintain composure. Just by your description it sopunds as if that instructor lacks the maturity it takes to teach. The students do not learn well in that kind of environment. As a performance sport, this shoud be something that a student should be proud and happy to do. If the instructor makes it hell for the students to be there,the whole point of what we do is lost. I woudl seriously have a talk with the director and instructor and get things straightened out right away. If you need anymore suggestions feel free to email me at Sixfdsteve@aol.com

Steve Elias
Percussion Caption Head
El Capitan High School
Lakeside, CA

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by geefunk1026 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:30 pm

When I was on tour in 99 with the Blue Knights the snare drummer next to me was not having a good day. He was sick and his leg was messed up pretty bad, but he was practicing anyway. After we finished a chunk of the show at 196 bpm he freaked out and threw one stick as hard as he could (it went pretty far), then threw his second stick like the first. Only the second hit our 3rd bass drummer in the head. He passed out, and we had to take him to the hospital.
Throwing sticks is not a matter to be taken lightly.
Greg

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:47 pm

Well My insturctor never loose his cool but he does go physco and gets weird now that is a sight to wach
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:08 pm

yeah it definitely should be discussed with ur BDs and figured out because something bad could definitely go wrong. Our drum tech was telling our line a story about a tech for sum corp (i dont remember who) who was tighting a snare head on one of the snares and another snare player was pecking like crazy so the tech told him a few times to cut it out, and after losing his cool the tech, without looking, grabbed a stick and rimshotted on the pecking drummers drum, he hit it so perfect that the pecking drummers eardrum actually exploded and was bleeding instantly.

Moral of the story: Don't peck, don't make the instructor loose his cool, and don't do anything that could potentially hurt another, and for instructors use words if u loose ur cool, they are usually more powerful.

Sixfdsteve
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sixfdsteve » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:39 pm

I agree that sometime pecking drummers can make an instructor go nuts but the instructor needs to keep everything under control including his or her temper. What needs to happen is that the capitans need to rally the drummers to practice restraint. Its all part of growing up.

Steve Elias
Percussion Captian Head
El Capitan High School
Lakeside, CA

JFinch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by JFinch » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:45 am

What really needs to happen is pushups and running....

physical incentive, it works like a charm, and its good for them!
Los Al:

Alto Sax 2000-2001
Bassoon 2000-2004
Tuba 2001-2004
Pit 2001-2004

lole

Post by lole » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:00 am

i know my instructor is one of the most awesome people i've ever met... he is not only a wonderful instructor, but a wonderful person... when i first joined drumline sophmore year(last year) i didn't know what to expect... of course i was nervous but i got through it... i dont remember a time he freaked out last year... and i had fun...it was one of the greatest expiriences i had(to be part of such a group)... im sure we all get a little out of place once in a while, but none of us are perfect... all we can do, is be patient... your instructor is just like you... he's human...

Boomer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Instructor issues

Post by Boomer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:16 pm

I know what you are talking about when it comes to the drumline instructor. Some things that you have to look at is how old is this person and if he/she has marched at that same school? I know some instructors that are teaching at the school that they marched at. They treat the kids like dirt when they are doing something that they shouldn't be or when they are not playing the book not to their liking.
Try talking to the director, I know that sucks if they don't know what is going on with their own band, but it may be that they are so busy that they may not evan notice it, because there is an instructor in front of them.
See if that works.

Good Luck,

Brian "Boomer" Almiron
Highland High School
Palmdale,Ca.
Battery Tech

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:14 pm

I totally good with JFinch! I would make that student do pushups & running for being misrespectful. But sometimes as Instructors need to realizae we are authority over the students and need to be have a better attitude with our students and not be throwing things at them.

:P 8-) :D
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Maverick_UplandSnare

instructors

Post by Maverick_UplandSnare » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:00 pm

8-) I dont know...everyone has their own problems...we're all human ya know? So maybe just talk to him/her personally and express your concern. 8-)
Upland High School
Snare: 01-05
Bass: 00-01