When

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

When

Post by Survivor » Sat May 29, 2004 1:40 pm

Hey all I was just wondering when does your percussion section start putting together your fall line?......And if, how do you put in the incoming freshman when do they come....?

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Sat May 29, 2004 2:16 pm

We start everything at the beginning of fall season which is in August. It would be great to start earlier, but I suppose we do the best with the time we have.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

Sixfdsteve
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sixfdsteve » Sat May 29, 2004 7:32 pm

Over here at ECHS we start right after winter line. We go to the feeder schools to do some recruiting and invite the incoming drummers to the weekly evening rehearsals to start working out and getting acquainted with the upperclass drummers and get evaluated. We get our show music before school gets out so that by band camp, the line is pretty well set and the band has a solid musical foundation to begin learning the show. As an instructor, I feel so very fortunate that all of the members feel the need to rehearse and get prepared early.

Steve Elias
Percussion Caption Head
El Capitan High School
Lakeside, CA

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Sun May 30, 2004 12:30 pm

We had Clinics starting from the week after ADLA champs. First round of cuts is gonna be next friday. Line should be set first week of July. (correct me if im wrong steve :D )
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Sun May 30, 2004 7:51 pm

You have CUTS? Wow so you have tryouts for your line? What about the Pit how does that work......

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Sun May 30, 2004 10:31 pm

Survivor wrote:You have CUTS? Wow so you have tryouts for your line? What about the Pit how does that work......
its mostly the upper battery, 12 people showed up for snare, and 5 people for tenors. I think we are aiming for 5 or 7 snares and 4 tenors.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

ClarinetDM

Post by ClarinetDM » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:39 pm

we have cuts too. we cut four people last saturday
2 because they were a no show
1 was a complainer all last season
and the other one.. i dont know why

and like our line is huge so we didnt really have battery cuts since there is 23 spots in battery and 10 in pit

hhs1
New Recruit
New Recruit

When Do You Set Your Line?

Post by hhs1 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:26 pm

AT Hawthorne we started week after adla. we drum twice a week and one camp a month as for cuts well not quite yet you have to earn your spot on the competition line. we will be set in late june and be smokin in august and tesT our skills in 2 or 3 feild shows and straight to indoor in november. HAVE A GREAT SUMER DRUM HARD! :twisted:

HHS PERCUSSION

02 DIV3 ADLA CHAMPS
03 OPEN ADLA CHAMPS
04 WGI-SCPA FINALIST
04 WORLD DIV ADLA CHAMPS :twisted:

drummerfromtroy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummerfromtroy » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:52 am

hh1:

do you compete outdoor? I have only heard of you in the indoor circuits. ive never seen you on the field so im just wondering. you said that u start on the court in november, seems kinda early to me. when do you starts your winterline show?

hhs1
New Recruit
New Recruit

when?

Post by hhs1 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:43 am

WE DO 2 or 3 feild tournaments not too many so we have more time for
indoor and can start in nov. :twisted:

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:31 am

MY school doesnt start on its fall line until august during band camp, there are many pro's and con's to doing it that way but ever since Ive been in the line thats how its always been :) Hey Sixfdsteve you say your from El Cap, I remember seeing you guys at a tournament this year and I couldnt get that who are who are who are we, We are The El Capitan Vasquros(SP?) that phrase is catchy lol. :D

xWMSxGrLx
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xWMSxGrLx » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:13 pm

We start rehearsing next Monday Edit: Thursday at Westminster High. It's Warner Middle School thats gonna rehearse though, not WHS * Well i dunno i dont think so *
Last edited by xWMSxGrLx on Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baritone/Euphonium
2006 - "Rise Of Samurai" - Bass drum - caption :]
2006- "Oh, What a World" - WG
2007- JV WG- "Wanted: Dead or Alive"

Sixfdsteve
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sixfdsteve » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:34 pm

Waterhead,
Yep, I instruct the El Capitan Vaquero Marching Percussion section. Not real sure about the catchy phrase though. I actually took over after marching season to work the winter line so if thats a phrase the band chants at the comps for hype, it's not my fault!! LOL :lol: If we are at the same comps, drop by and say hello. Best of luck to you and your band!

Steve Elias
Percussion Caption Head
El Capitan High School
Lakeside, CA

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:40 pm

Hey thanks I'll be sure to drop by and say hi. I didn't do winter line this year but how did you guys do? I know my band got 4th I think at championships but I could be wrong. Anyways, Good luck to your drumline and we'll see ya at the comps :)