Would you teach your line?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

PrideofOklahoma
New Recruit
New Recruit

Would you teach your line?

Post by PrideofOklahoma » Fri May 14, 2004 10:57 pm

I'm a senior this year, and I'm probably going to join a corp or an independent line...if I'm lucky... lucky as in VERY VERY VERY lucky.... like miracle lucky. lol But till then I'm going to be teaching at my school! Our line's still young and we have alot of fun together, so I decided to stick around till I leave for college and leave them with some of my chops of wisdom. :)

Seniors from our previous seasons did the exact same thing, but they hated teaching us (and they also ended up hating their own drumline :( )because I guess... they didn't know how to teach and we didn't exactly respond the way they wanted us to. They weren't great people, but they were still my friends and I learned alot from them too. So I really hope I won't end up hating it like them. Especially because I enjoy liking my high school drumline, and my line's just way too cool to leave. :wink:

So here's the question:
If you're a senior member of this season, would you go back to teach your line?

And if so, would you feel any 'walls' between you and the members?

Would you change the way you interact with them by any way?

wkbordinbando

Post by wkbordinbando » Mon May 17, 2004 8:16 pm

Hey,
I'm not a senior this year but I was in your place last year. My drumline has never had a full time mallet player, so i decided to come back and teach at my high school. I went to Drum Corps (Esperanza) after I graduated and learned a lot. To answer your questions yes you do have to change your interactions with the students. It can't be all you it has to be a change in the students view of you. You don't necessaraly need to cut all the friendships that you have, but the students do need to understand that you are an instructor now. It will take alot of work but it is possible. Another delema is the relationship between you and the other instructors. It is going to be wierd because you have always seen them as instructors but now you have to see them as coulegs. Don't expect to go into it with respect you have to gain it. Good luck and don't forget to have fun.