Pit and battery!

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

MHSpitchick
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MHSpitchick » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:24 pm

Yeah, this is actually the first year (since I've been here) that our pit and battery are tight.

There are only 5 girls, and one has woodwind friends, but the other four of us are so tight. We hang out a lot. Three of the four of us are actually the big smarta$$'s in the section, hehe.

Anyways, the past two years, the pit and battery havent really clicked, but this year, we talk a lot, and theres always just a really chill vibe. I love it :]
*MoOrPaRk hiGh*
*02-*03 maLLeT LiNE
*03 fALL- PiT cAptAiN /maLLeT LiNE
*04 sPriNG- PeRcUsSiOn cAptAiN/maLLet LiNE

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:38 pm

You know what might do the trick for all you guys out there that have a bad connection with the pit and battery. You guys should for one practice or part of the practice swich places....Have the battery go to the pit and the pit put on the drums and play. Play some exercises and stuff like that. Its a lot of fun cuz then the two have to talk and teach them this is how you hold a stick and this is the A scale You know......Its fun at my school we do that ever year even tho we dont have a bad realationship it just gettes better after that......
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:49 pm

at Rancho Bernardo there's not an especially tight bond between the 2 sections, but we are all friends and chill a lot.

Percussion is everyone, Pit is them, and Battery is us.

within the drumline we are pretty close, much more so than the pit within itself.

i would love to have a super tight bond with everyone...the battery could be closer and im sure that bonding improves how you work together and play together.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:35 am

I'm currently the Pit Instructor/Caption Head at FOHI! There is really not a tight bond between the Battery & Pit. Battery mainly stay together and same goes with the Pit section.

:o 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

tripleteer

Post by tripleteer » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:38 am

our drumline is fairly tight within each section, but most def there is a schism between battRY and pit. I think as the year goes on, we'll get tighter between the two though.

We have our fun, though. BattRY rags on the pit for being lazy and worthless, and pit tries our best to throw it right back (props to BattRY for being better at that than us)

Here's to a good season, y'all!

~tripleteer

xtrmdrummer1

Post by xtrmdrummer1 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:39 pm

Ahh this is kinda funny. Battery was always more of a click group. It wasnt that we had anything against the pit, except that they didnt march *shrug*. For the most part, battery did their own thing... only 1 real joint sectional outside of regular practice was ever called in all my time in HS. That was a whole story in itself though! :roll:

drumbum07
New Recruit
New Recruit

pit+battery

Post by drumbum07 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:41 pm

at my school, every talks to every one, cause it wouldnt be a drumline if the pit and battery didnt communicate....

best of luck to all drumlines this season

drummababe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drummababe » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:43 pm

at my school the battery stays with the battery and the pit stays with the pit... I mean there is pit and battey members that do hang out but its mostly battery battery and pit pit.

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:53 am

I gotta say, that this threat... is ****ing OLD
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

DrummerBoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerBoy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:18 pm

AT my school the older Drumline people are cool but for the the younger people the battery hangs with battery and pit hangs with pit. and by the way i hate it when the battery says were lazy because we dont march, ok i tried out for drumline and i didnt make it so how is it my fault that i got put in pit and dont march. well thats not everyones case but yeah. if u didnt want to march u should have joined PIT and not battery. not trying to start any fights or anything but i feel the battery rags on the pit allot. thats why at my school the pit and drumline is kinda seperated and not tight like it supposed to be.
MMHS 5A Saphire Sound
Timpani Player 03-04
Timpani Player 04-05
Bottom bass 05-06
Tenor 06-07

WOW Can I SEE your Timpani?

marimbatechnique
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by marimbatechnique » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:45 pm

DrummerBoy wrote:AT my school the older Drumline people are cool but for the the younger people the battery hangs with battery and pit hangs with pit. and by the way i hate it when the battery says were lazy because we dont march, ok i tried out for drumline and i didnt make it so how is it my fault that i got put in pit and dont march. well thats not everyones case but yeah. if u didnt want to march u should have joined PIT and not battery. not trying to start any fights or anything but i feel the battery rags on the pit allot. thats why at my school the pit and drumline is kinda seperated and not tight like it supposed to be.
That is a common thing that is said in a lot of lines and band members tend to use it as well.

Its easy for them to say it after 3+ hours of marching and its also easy to say playing mallets is easy because mallet technique if right can make it look like cake.

Just shake it off and play your parts perfectly and be that silent member that can just downright play.

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:25 pm

it makes me made when pit makes the battery take there stuff to the field

we get our PE creditby marching, why dont they do some physical work themselves?

marimbatechnique
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by marimbatechnique » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:06 am

basshaterbutplayer wrote:it makes me made when pit makes the battery take there stuff to the field

we get our PE creditby marching, why dont they do some physical work themselves?
i doubt they sit there and watch you take it to the field - and in order to get out there Somewhere near ontime let alone with enough time to warm up - it requires more people than you have - depending on how many instruments a pit contains and how much extra aux. pit stuff you have in your show.

i'm in pit and most the time we take it all out by ourselves but when there is a LOT of stuff to do - luckily - the battery usually isnt asked to help; they just do

SC_bassline

Post by SC_bassline » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:26 pm

uh we have battery and pit. i think the biggest part of it is because not everyone gets along...its a love hate relationship.i dont really care...i love all of them. :D
female drummers make better kissers

lilpitprincess
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lilpitprincess » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:37 pm

basshaterbutplayer wrote:it makes me made when pit makes the battery take there stuff to the field

It makes me mad when people imply that the pit is lazy. I marched my freshman year, and I know, it's hard work. But pit takes just as much work. We have to be at rehersals/performances before everyone else, we leave after everyone else, we have a TON of equipment to keep track of and take care of, we're continuously loading and unloading our stuff, and we have to take crap from the rest of the band just cuz we don't march.

I'm sorry you get stuck taking pit's stuff to the field, but I'm sure u like starting rehearsals on time, and the more people moving stuff, the faster the pit is ready. You get ur PE credit marching, we get ours moving and lifting marimbas.

Mt. Carmel Marching Sundevil 2001-2005
2005 SD Alternative Percussion Ensemble
MCHS c/o 2005 The Sun Never Sets
Biola University Symphonic Winds 2005-2009